Aluminum Sideplates for Newell Reels

Started by Bryan Young, February 03, 2016, 08:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the sideplates mate up with Newell Frames or Tiburon Frames?

Newell Frames
4 (14.3%)
Tiburion Frames
24 (85.7%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: February 10, 2016, 08:43:30 PM

Bryan Young

We have begun developing side plates for Newell reels and one thing that we discovered, confirming Newell Nut's findings, that the Tiburon frame screw holes do not exactly match up with the Newell side plates.  The question is would you rather have side plates that match up with a Tiburon Frame or a Newell Frame?  A part of me says Newell frame, but another part says Tiburon Frame, and am seeking your advise/direction.

Note that we are starting with 300 series sized reel as it is the most popular size Newell in their entire line up.  To be followed by other sizes.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bigggfish

My initial answer is "Yes".   :o)

But if I can't have both, I guess I would rather have them line up with Tiburon so we can have more color variety..  my 2 cents.

Sulla

In my way of thinking the answer is fairly obvious. . What would the pourpouse of aluminum side plates be for? I would assume to add strength to the body of a Newell reel. Strong side plates mounted on a frame or structure that is prone to flex under stress would void out the original pourpouse of the side plates. Therefore I think if someone wanted a "Super Newell" per say you would want the alumin plates mounted on a tib frame. Assuming the aluminum side plates are heavier than the originals that is.

Frank

Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

swill88

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 03, 2016, 08:43:30 PM
We have begun developing side plates for Newell reels and one thing that we discovered, confirming Newell Nut's findings, that the Tiburon frame screw holes do not exactly match up with the Newell side plates.  The question is would you rather have side plates that match up with a Tiburon Frame or a Newell Frame?  A part of me says Newell frame, but another part says Tiburon Frame, and am seeking your advise/direction.

Note that we are starting with 300 series sized reel as it is the most popular size Newell in their entire line up.  To be followed by other sizes.

Which reels does this apply too?

My S229-5 lines up perfectly with the Tiburon 229.

steve

Frank

Something else you might want to keep in mind. The old Blackie and P series sideplate had room for the top hat drag spacer. The newer P series, S an C series do not. I'm hoping your are modeling your aluminum plates after the older reels for the extra clearance.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

steelhead_killer

I would vote for Tiburon Frames.  **Disclaimer** I don't own any Newell products, yet... 8)
><)))">

Mac53

I would vote for the tib frame.  This way I can have a logical reason to spend more money on all my Tibed Newells.   :D

PacRat

I'm very interested in where this is going. Bryan, can you be more specific about which sideplates do not fit Tib frames? I've used Tib frames on 300 series sideplates with only vey slight deviations in the tolerances of the holes in the stainless rings which fit after a small amount of filing with a needle file. The plastic sideplates fit fine but the ring holes needed to be opened up a smidge. I've always loved the lightweight handling and castability of the Newells but if I were to add aluminum sideplates I would like them to fit Tib frames. Either way I would be interested in this project.

bluefish69

I went to Newell because they are lite weight & easy to work on. If you like a heavy reel stick with Penn. Everything you add to Newell makes them heavier even Aluminum side plates or frames. I'm not saying that I haven't done this. I have a 229 forgot which model with a Tib. Frame that I did years ago because the Cross Bars were NG. Never fished it yet. I'm getting older & lazy now so lite weight rules.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Bryan Young

Quote from: swill88 on February 03, 2016, 10:18:36 PM
Quote from: Bryan Young on February 03, 2016, 08:43:30 PM

Which reels does this apply too?

My S229-5 lines up perfectly with the Tiburon 229.

steve

Steve, PacRat answered above.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

The initial run will be black.  This will determine if we will do subsequent runs in different sizes and colors.

The modeling is based on 3 different side plates from different years to ensure we have a product that will fit all needs. 

We are also looking at different support bracings in the side plate more suitable for aluminum with the goal that the side plates will be equivalent in weight as the stock side plates with the SS rings.

Yes we have lofty goals, but the benefit of a Newell is lightweight, and hope to add strength to the side plates and an option to broken side plates.  If the side plates are too heavy, we may scrap it.  defeats the purpose of owning a Newell if it gets too heavy.

thinkwahoo

Another problem with the Tib frames is availability.  They only made so many, and have stated they are no longer in the frame business.

Cortez_Conversions

Can I weigh in? ;D

My goal is to hand Bryan a set of plates that are lighter, stronger and more available than the OG Newell side plates. Especially if you, the customer has a broken plate that keeps you from fishing your Newell.
We're not trying to re-invent the wheel, just get some old friends off the shelf and back on the water.

If need be, maybe a full frame it is in order as an option, that's Bryan's call. So far, the Tib P20 frames still are available to some degree.

As Bryan said, first run will be black. If they sell right, again at Bryan's wishes, colors can be added.

As PacRat noted, the dimensional differences are minimal, but when taking on a project like this they must be addressed.  I don't think the P20 frame was ever specifically designed for the Newells, but simply luck would have it that they were Jiggy sized and were close enough that a little massaging was all that was needed to fit. I haven't discussed everything with Bryan yet, but I wanted to chime in here.
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Sulla

Quote from: thinkwahoo on February 04, 2016, 01:56:23 AM
Another problem with the Tib frames is availability.  They only made so many, and have stated they are no longer in the frame business.

As far as I know tiburon is still making frames. I just went to their website
and I didnt find anything refering to discontinuing their frames and spools however they have announced they will be discontinuing their fishing reel line to focus more on new
frames.
I think accurate is out of the frame business.