Aluminum Sideplates for Newell Reels

Started by Bryan Young, February 03, 2016, 08:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the sideplates mate up with Newell Frames or Tiburon Frames?

Newell Frames
4 (14.3%)
Tiburion Frames
24 (85.7%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: February 10, 2016, 08:43:30 PM

Tightlines667

If it works in black.. ice blue green or silver would be cool.  Not to put the cart out in front :)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

BMITCH

I only own 200's and 400's all with Tib frames. So I may have to buy a 300 series just to get these side plates???? Oh boy. There goes another $500
luck is the residue of design.

anglingarchitect

I don't own a Newel anymore so my opinion don't matter.

The Newel nut on here, buff old guy from east coast of Florida kills a lot of Nice Mango's on a party boat over there, can't remember his name but he bought it from me.

Newell Nut =?

Based on my limited knowledge of Penns, I would want both frames and plates, to limit distortion, flexing, which keeps drags and gears aligned under max loads.

vilters

I've got several 300 series and one 500 series newells with tib or accu frames. they fit fine without modification. interesting to see this project, as I had been thinking of aluminum sideplates for newells in light of the plates being produced recently for penns. I would certainly be in for at least one set please ;D oh, and one more vote for plates to fit tib/accu frames.

Ron Jones

I don't own a Newell. Put I own several Newelled Penns. I've never even considered the feasability of a Newell stand and bars failing so I always thought of the Tib frames as a great way to spend more money. I have had side plate issues on any type of reel, however. I recommend fitting the sideplates to the Newell parts. I'm currently looking hard at the 146 sized Newell. Plates for it would be cool. Like a Cortez only fast.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Doso2222

Brock from http://www.rocketreels.com has been making Newell side plates for some time now. I've seen them on both tib frames and stock frames. Does anyone have any connections with him? ???

bluefish69

Ron

A 146 Squidder is the same as a 220 Newell.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Doso2222 on February 04, 2016, 04:01:32 AM
Brock from http://www.rocketreels.com has been making Newell side plates for some time now. I've seen them on both tib frames and stock frames. Does anyone have any connections with him? ???

Brock went to intermediate school with my sister. He grew up about 3 miles from me but I have never met him. I tried to get him to make side plates before but he said that is is not set up for production as I tried to order 50 sets from him. He wasn't interested. Heck of nice guy.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

Quote from: Doso2222 on February 04, 2016, 04:01:32 AM

Brotha Bill here in Ewa Beach is good friends.  Brian also knows him.  He makes some cool stuff.  Mostly on an individual order-by-order basis, as I recall... but honestly, the tollerances/workmanship seem a bit below sir Cortez... IMHO.  I love the look of his titanium six shooter handle knobs though they are a bit heavy.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

PacRat

If I could take a dive down the rabbit hole of my own choosing...I would wish for 300 diameter sideplates with 500 series double-dog guts. It would be known as a Newell/Cortez 500 Magnum! Oh wait a minute...I haven't completed the Magnum that I'm already building.
Just wishing out loud...carry on.
-Mike

day0ne

I'm not sure what the problem is. My S332 has a 99 Jigmaster Tib frame and all the holes line up fine
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Ron Jones

Quote from: PacRat on February 04, 2016, 06:11:37 AM
If I could take a dive down the rabbit hole of my own choosing...I would wish for 300 diameter sideplates with 500 series double-dog guts. It would be known as a Newell/Cortez 500 Magnum! Oh wait a minute...I haven't completed the Magnum that I'm already building.
Just wishing out loud...carry on.
-Mike
That's what I'm talking about. It seems to me that Cortez makes both. I would think he could morph the drawings and come up with the baddest 40# braid reel around. Fill it will Mr. Chui's goodies including the 5:1 gears and there isn't anything anyone could do to touch it.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

speedwagon2

Bryan,
   I am interested.  My 322 and 332 with your drags and Tib frames are strong.  They both have handled 45-50 lb YFT.  Aluminum side plates would be cool.  I hope the weight can be kept close to the original side plates.  The tib framed 300 series are heavier then the original frames.
   Speedwagon2

Bryan Young

I like the Tib frames but they are a but heavy...I wonder if we should make frames to match the sideplates too with a goal weigh equal or  close to the original frame pieces?

Look at me...talking like I have tons of spare change.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Frank

A light weight one piece frame. Pro Gear style.  :o
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.