Aluminum Sideplates for Newell Reels

Started by Bryan Young, February 03, 2016, 08:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the sideplates mate up with Newell Frames or Tiburon Frames?

Newell Frames
4 (14.3%)
Tiburion Frames
24 (85.7%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: February 10, 2016, 08:43:30 PM

Bryan Young

Quote from: RUSTY OLD COLT on February 16, 2016, 11:30:17 PM
     Would it be possible to make a sideplate that matches the tiburon frame , but eliminates the inner and outer rings and side plate ? ( these parts are  getting very had to find in good condition ) yet retain all the newell internals and spools ?
That's the plan.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

No internal changes. Newell gears are very strong.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

Joe

You can buy the 5 stack drag system any time you want and install. Works great and sort of overkill in a 200 series. After typing that I remember making one of my P229s into a 6 stack since it already had the original 4 stack drag system.

Dwight

Reverendpdp

I'd like a set of side plates for my 338 with Tiburon frame...
Please tell me how to order...

Reverendpdp

Thought I'd show off the finished product. 
Newell 338
Tiburon Frame
Bryan Young Sideplates

Additional upgrades include 5 pc. carbon washers, aluminum handle and clicker. 
All work and upgrades done by Andy Smith of supertunereels.com

ez2cdave

Well, if you are going to make Aluminum Sideplates, why not also make Aluminum Frames to match them ?

If you go this route, let me say that I have always "hated" the "Feet" on aftermarket frames for ALL reels ( Accuframes, Tiburon, Newell /Penn Conversion ) because they are TOO SMALL, TOO NARROW, and TOO SHORT . . . This causes a "sloppy fit" in the Reel Seat on the rod, which allows the reel to move around.

Since Newell reels were designed to be lightweight, I suggest making everything thin-walled, in order to save as much weight as possible !

Bryan Young

The difference between a stock 332 and a 332 with my side plates is 0.3 oz heavier. Is that what you mean?

Well, this was my goal. I say it was as success.