Aluminum Sideplates for Newell Reels

Started by Bryan Young, February 03, 2016, 08:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the sideplates mate up with Newell Frames or Tiburon Frames?

Newell Frames
4 (14.3%)
Tiburion Frames
24 (85.7%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: February 10, 2016, 08:43:30 PM

PacRat

Bryan,
What about a 1/4 frame with drilled aluminum bars? Very similar to the original Newell frame design but stronger and weight-wise somewhere between original and Tib frames. I know this is a micro-market but you have die-hard reel junkies and tackle hoes here...maybe we should just start a support group instead?
-Mike

ez2cdave

Quote from: thinkwahoo on February 04, 2016, 01:56:23 AM
Another problem with the Tib frames is availability.  They only made so many, and have stated they are no longer in the frame business.

The "obvious answer" is that, if you are going to make Aluminum Sideplates, why not also make Aluminum Frames to match them ?

If you go this route, let me say that I have always "hated" the "Feet" on aftermarket frames for ALL reels ( Accuframes, Tiburon, Newell /Penn Conversion ) because the are TOO SMALL, and TOO SHORT . . . This causes a "sloppy fit" in the Reel Seat on the rod, allowing the reel to move around.

Since Newell reels were designed to be lightweight, I suggest making everything thin-walled, in order to save as much weight as possible !

Bryan Young

Quote from: Frank on February 04, 2016, 03:04:13 PM
A light weight one piece frame. Pro Gear style.  :o
Frank, I have though about this.  We would have to have several different sizes to each width of reel that Newell produced.  Maybe more trouble than it's worth with the shoe string budget that I have.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

PacRat

Maybe we need to look into Crowdfunding?
-Mike

Cortez_Conversions

If the top post and the inner rings are left on the reel, the plates will fit the Tib frame or the stock Newell frame without a problem. There still may be a need for a little filing and fitting of the SST ring to the Tib frame, as some have already mentioned. This option would be retaining the weight of the stainless parts.

If you are interested in a custom frame, look at my Cortez Conversions Classic 146 or the Jig Master 500 frame kits. I removed a lot of weight versus a stock Accurate or Tib frame. I'll try and find some frame pics when I get home tonight.
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 04, 2016, 05:14:28 PM
Frank, I have though about this.  We would have to have several different sizes to each width of reel that Newell produced.  Maybe more trouble than it's worth with the shoe string budget that I have.

Let's start with one!
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Frank

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on February 04, 2016, 05:41:44 PM
Quote from: Bryan Young on February 04, 2016, 05:14:28 PM

Let's start with one!

I would be willing to assist with budgeting to get this going.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

bigggfish

ez2cdave

Looks like EXCITING things are about to happen !!!

landlubber

yes I also have tibed out 3 reels latly while having cabin fever and per Bob at Tiburon on the popular frames when orders or demand is big enough they will make another batch,  the colored handles are done though  so order now while you can. on the larger frames (for a 500 series)  the screws are a bit short ( on the right side)  IMO so I am now looking into new source of 5-40 stainless hopefully in 316 , I am cutting down the 1" to the desired fit/length .  Jerry

bigggfish

I got all the screws I needed from Kingfa in Ontario, CA.  I got 18-8 flathead.  Talk to Joshua Ph#(909) 212-5413. He was really helpful.  They also would make a run of oval head (like Carl used) if we had enough interest.  They will make pretty much anything.

RUSTY OLD COLT

Just picked up a Newell 332 at a local show .  Hope the side plates become available . I would be interested in some 220 size plates also .These Newells are hard to find on Long Island

ez2cdave

Here is an online resource that may prove valuable . . . ENJOY !!!

http://uluajunkies.com/maintenance.html

http://uluajunkies.com/shopnewell.html

Be sure to SCROLL DOWN to see the items nears the bottom of the page !

Tight Lines !!!

RUSTY OLD COLT

Would it be possible to make a sideplate that matches the tiburon frame , but eliminates the inner and outer rings and side plate ? ( these parts are  getting very had to find in good condition ) yet retain all the newell internals and spools ?