Okuma Halogen HG 400 Tutorial

Started by Bill B, February 07, 2016, 05:31:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

This an Okuma Halogen HG 400...similar in design to other manufactures.  The HG 400 has a 5.1:1 gear ratio and holds 180 yds of 20 lb mono, has two spool and one anti-reverse bearing.  Here it is compared with a Penn Squidder 140.

First pry out the handle locking nut cover, mine broke, so I will just secure the handle nut with a dab of hot glue to keep it from backing out later.   Using a 10 mm nut wrench remove the handle nut, handle, star drag detent ring, detent washer, spring, star, and two belvilles that were stacked   ().

Loosen the two knurled retaining screws and the gear plate pulls straight out.  Remove the spool.  The spool bearing measures approx. 10mm X 5mm

To remove the left side plate, you access a retaining screw through the handle side of the frame, then push a dowel into the drain hole and the plate pops out, revealing the level wind gears.

Remove the retaining screw on the nylon gear, two spacer washers, the pawl nut and pawl, level wind shroud and gear. Lube and reassemble in reverse order.

Now on to the handle side.  Two screws hold the gear plate on the side plate, remove both screws and the gear plate falls out.  No worries regarding disappearing springs or dogs. The main gear, pinon pull off, to be greased and reinstalled in reverse order.

The AR bearing pushes out with the appropriate sized socket.  Under the spool tension knob is a bushing retained by a spring clip.

There's a c clip holding the clicker gear on the spool and a spacer clip underneath and then the casting break.  Clean, lube and reassemble

When reinstalling the drag star and handle parts, be careful to ensure the two posts on the star washer are inserted into the corresponding holes in the drag star

Also make sure the free spool cocking gear is pushed up when putting this reel  together.

This is the second round bait caster I have serviced and there were no surprises.

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Ron Jones

Nice, looks like a beefy main gear. The biggest concern I have for all of these, including my pre-Luna Millionaires, is the plastic yoke. It just seems to not be a part to build lightly.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bill B

Ron, I agree...Im not a big fan of plastic parts......if I can get a couple seasons out of this reel I'd be happy.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Ron Jones

My Millionaire 300x has lasted for almost 15 years. Lots and lots of fish from small Ca halibut to black rock fish to sabikis full of mac. I've never had a single hickup, but that doesn't mean I'm comfortable with it.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"