Makaira 50WII Australian drag cam

Started by friendlyfish, February 08, 2016, 08:26:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

friendlyfish

I recently posted this question in ordering parts thread. I was hoping maybe someone on this thread could help me.

Hello to everyone. I recently purchased a new Makaira 50WII after reading many good reviews on the reel. It was hard to go past Tiagra and a few of the others but after reading many threads including Alan Tani I decided to purchase Mak50WII (last week) The weather is just not quiet right this week to try it out. Anyhow I have read that some people in Australia have received in there new Makaira 50WII box an extra drag cam. Apparently they come with a standard drag cam and a tournament drag cam. In my box I did not receive any extra cam? should I have?? and last of all which would be the drag cam that comes standard on my Makaira 50WII bought in Australia.

I love the feel and weight of this reel and it looks fantastic too.

Any help would be really appreciated

boon

The tournament drag cam is (in my opinion) for fishing 24kg or lighter lines, delivers a super linear drag curve throughout the range instead of ramping like the standard one does, but you won't get the full drag output of the reel.

From a bit of a hunt around the internet it seems that the Australian market gets the Tournament cam.

friendlyfish

Thanks boon. I can't find out anywhere for certain. I know for sure when I purchased the reel it was advertised as having max drag 85lbs. This is why I invested my hard earned on it. Yes I may never use all that drag but I liked the fact that it could do that.

Would have been nice if someone told me this is not true before investing in it!! So I wonder how much drag does it actually have in Australia??

boon

Again anecdotal from the internet but it sounds like approx. 40lb with the TDC in it.

I'm sure if you get in touch with Okuma they'll be happy enough to send you out a cam, even if you have to pay for it it shouldn't be an expensive part...

The part number you want, I'm fairly sure, is 16020037. Can't find it for sale online anywhere - it's called an "Adjust Block" according to the schematic...

friendlyfish

Thanks boon. I will ask the question and see if I can get a standard cam sent to me. I would also like to get the drag ratings after the cam is installed.

I was reading that to change the cam is as simple as unscrewing the preset knob and screwing in the new one? Have you heard how it is done. Would it be that simple?

Appreciate your help with this.

cheers,

gstours

Heres another way to answer your question,  for yourself.  This way you.ll know what cam is in the reel you got....
   Spool it full of line and pull it out ant max drag.   I think this will be the true test.........
I got a tournament drag cam for a Makaira 30 for $25  from Okuma USA   The 50 part should be somewhat close to this price I would think?
   try them at 909-923-2828  california time.

boon

Quote from: gstours on February 10, 2016, 06:25:41 PM
Heres another way to answer your question,  for yourself.  This way you.ll know what cam is in the reel you got....
   Spool it full of line and pull it out ant max drag.   I think this will be the true test.........
I got a tournament drag cam for a Makaira 30 for $25  from Okuma USA   The 50 part should be somewhat close to this price I would think?
   try them at 909-923-2828  california time.

It's the same part on all the larger Makairas.

friendlyfish

Hi gstours,

I don't think I would be able to pull 40lbs of drag let alone 85 lbs of drag. Maybe I can connect it to the Hilux. Can you please explain the process of changing the drag cams over.

Is this possible to do on other reels like say Tiagra 50?

Thanks,

boon

You put the reel in free then turn the drag preload knob counter-clockwise until it comes off. Do it with some pressure on it, there may be a spring underneath it. The drag cam should basically drop out although sometimes they are a bit "nested" in the drag lever, in which case remove the drag lever and poke it out from the other side. Make sure the new ones nests back in properly, you'll probably have to align the lobes on the cam with the indents in the drag lever half.

spearo776

hi friendlyfish, did you have much luck in finding out which cam you have. i'm pretty sure Aussie Makairas(gold) have the tournament cams in them.
the Mak50wii is an awesome reel as I'm sure you have found out. I fish 37kg on 2 of mine and they handle the extra drag all the way to sunset, not a problem. the other 2 I have spooled with 24kg ,(same drag cam) and the drag curve is perfect as it is with the 37kg as well.
ive had my maks now for 4yrs ,fish hard and never a problem. from season to season,never needing to check drag pressures, my penns on the other hand are a different story...