An almost stainless 99 jigmaster

Started by mhc, February 08, 2016, 11:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

This 99 sized jigmaster isn't big on bling but is about as corrosion resistant as I can make it.
I was lucky enough to get a set of stainless rings, sideplate locking screw and clicker assembly from Chris (Rothmar2) but a lot of the other parts are readily available.

Black Pearl internals with a set of Newell 4:1 gears, the handle shown here is from Alan T with a Tiburon grip added.

As far as I know penn didn't make a 99 size spool with stainless sides - I replaced the chromed brass sides from a 99 spool with the sides from a stainless 500 spool.

The stand is a stainless 30-66 from Scott's with the top of the 'lugs' filed down to clear the spool.

Mike

I made a clutch lever out of 304 stainless

The assembled reel, using stainless posts from 'fishingreel79' on ebay and 304 stainless screws.

I decided to put a curved counter balanced handle from Adam (3sevens or motive fabrication) to match his curved star. I also made a curved clutch lever based on the shape of the star.

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

DaBigOno

Very nicely done Mike.

I like the look of the ecentric lever, and that was pretty clever doing the spool!

Al
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

PacRat

steelhead_killer

love that clutch lever!  Wish someone would make a bunch!
><)))">

Rothmar2

Very nicely done Mike. Great job with the clutch lever. They are a lot of fun filing the slot aren't they! ;D

Tightlines667

Nice work!
Way to think outside the box, and get her done.  Just missing a Silverbeach Stainless (or maybe German silver?) eccentric, and a stainless knob.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

mhc

Thanks for the kind words fellas. It should stand up to a bit of spray fishing from small boats.
Andy, making the eccentric levers by hand is too tedious a job, as Chis has hinted, to make them in any number. The lever could be water cut and the stops turned on a small lathe but it would probably take a lot of interest for someone to take it on.
John, The eccentric doesn't have a number stamp and was described as stainless when I bought it but I think it is probably a chromed brass one from a 500S or other jigmaster. A stainless knob would be good but there are a few other parts needed as well, the bushings would need a bronze lining in a stainless housing, the handle retaining screw, the eccentric lever retaining screw, and there was something else..... Oh yeah - stainless sideplates! ;D ;D ;D

Mike   
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

twotone

twotone

Bryan Young

Sexy curves. Nice job. Love the creativity
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

STRIPER LOU

Very nice work! A custom classic.
..............Lou

Reel 224

Mike; nice clean costume work, and you certainly made it your-own.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

mo65

Wow...I love this reel...great work! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

Very nicely done !!

I've always questioned the "stainless" spools. They look stainless, but I'm puzzled why my magnet says it's not steel ?!?!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!