An almost stainless 99 jigmaster

Started by mhc, February 08, 2016, 11:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Quote from: Maxed Out on March 06, 2017, 04:57:43 PM
I've always questioned the "stainless" spools. They look stainless, but I'm puzzled why my magnet says it's not steel ?!?!

OK...I'm divin' on this...my one chance to tell Ted how something works...instead of asking how it works! :D Some types of stainless are less magnetic, and some barely at all. Here's a link discussing it: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-dont-magnets-work-on/ 

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

swill88

Quote from: mo65 on March 06, 2017, 06:22:48 PM
I've always questioned the "stainless" spools. They look stainless, but I'm puzzled why my magnet says it's not steel ?!?!

OK...I'm divin' on this...my one chance to tell Ted how something works...instead of asking how it works! :D Some types of stainless are less magnetic, and some barely at all. Here's a link discussing it: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-dont-magnets-work-on/ 

I was afraid to bring it up Mo... Good on you.

steve

mhc

Mo is right, some grades of stainless are magnetic (eg. 400 series??) while some are not (eg. 304, 306). From what I've seen and read, the magnetic grades are stronger but less corrosion resistant than the non-magnetic grades like 304 & 306. You've probably seen these spools with pitting or corrosion on the magnetic arbor/shaft but not on the non-magnetic sides.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Cortez_Conversions

Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

oc1

Really nice. It would take a lot of guts to go after the spool like that.
-steve

RTT

Great work.  I have to ask how do you take the spool apart??

Ray

Bill B

Yes, I gotsa know....how did the spool take a part....and a killer build brother.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

TongassFisher

mhc

Thanks. I thought I had posted pictures of pulling the spool apart on here somewhere else but I can only find the photos of one apart.  ???

It's pretty straight forward, the spool sides are held in place by the nuts on either end of the shaft / arbor. They are a tight fit but usually can pulled by hand.  

The pinion side can be removed, but the clicker ratchet that is peened onto the tail plate side of the shaft stops the side from coming all the way off.

To remove the ratchet, I made a rough punch that fit over the shaft stub and inside the ratchet. Then supporting the spool side between two pieces of wood, I punched the shaft through the ratchet.

I didn't notice at the time, but it seems likely I've warped a spool side or two doing it this way - I sent a few pulled apart spools to Chris (Rothmar2) for another project & some of the sides were warped when measured accurately. If I do another spool, I think I will try removing the peened area of the shaft with a rotaty tool burr or something.

To put it back together I centre popped or staked the ratchet back onto the shaft - I went a bit overboard with this one, it only takes a little deformation to secure the ratchet.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

RTT

Mike

Thank you for the explanation.  I am going to give it a go this weekend.

Ray