AVET/ALPS REEL SEAT ISSUE

Started by akadashoe, February 09, 2016, 06:41:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akadashoe

Has anyone experienced a problem trying to mount an Avet to a "Tri" (triangle-shaped) ALPS reel seat?
It seems only one foot of the reel will fit into the seat, either front or rear, but not both, due to the shape of the seat.
Is there a fix for this problem, or is it possible to just use the rear ferrule and the rod clamp, similar to a "deckhand" style rod?

Thanks!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

AJ

I have three rods with Alps triangular reel seats and no problem with Avet JX, HX or HX Raptor.

akadashoe

Hey AJ,

Thanks for the response.
The reel in question is an MX Raptor.
Maybe that's the problem?
I'm attaching a couple pics of the issue.
I was able to finally secure the reel by just using the rear hood and rod clamp, which seems okay, but I'd really rather use both hoods!

otownjoe

Hard to tell but it looks like the reel seat is to big for the reel. It is a common problem with today's small powerful reels. You have to match the reel to a appropriate sized reel seat.With some reels a standard sized reel seat will not work especially the narrow reels.

MarkT

My SX Raptor has no problem with the alps triangular reels seat on my Phenix psw700xh.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

akadashoe

Mark/AJ

Would you happen know what size seats you are using on your rods?
Mine is a 22.
I'm thinking it Joe may be correct, it may be too big for the reel, in which case there may be a new Grafighter 760ML up for grabs!   :-\

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

cbar45

Perhaps you might try contacting AVET to see if the MX Raptor foot can be swapped out for that of another model known to fit the Alps?

That is if you can verify it's the size/shape of the reel foot causing your problem, and not the seat.

Chad

akadashoe

Hey Chad,

Thanks for the response.
I did call Avet and they informed me that this is a common issue, and the only work-around is to mill down the 2 clamp posts and just use the reel seat hoods to attach the reel.
Sounds like a lot of work to me.
I wish they would have indicated that their SX, MX, AND JX reels will NOT work with a "triangle" style ALPS reel seat! (at least with a size 22 and larger)

Anyone interested in a new Calstar 700ML spiral-wrapped beauty...cheap?   :D

SoCalAngler

This may sound harsh but I don't think it is Avet's fault that you bought a reel or had a rod made that does not fit onto the reel seat you chose. I think it was up to you to make sure everything fit. You did say it was a MX Raptor but those reels come in the MXJ and MXL size but I'm not sure there is a difference in the reel foot on the two models. If there is maybe a call to Avet to see if the screw pattern is the same for both reels feet but maybe the MXL's foot is a bit wider? I don't know just a shot in the dark if you do in fact have a MXJ model.

Edit: I just wanted to say that does really suck and I'm sorry you found it out this way.

P.S. When Avet says mill it down it is because they have the tools to do so, but for people like me it may just take a rotary tool to remove those posts. Yes I know not the best fix but their reels feet are pretty strong and the Calstar 700ML is a 30 lb test stick so I think you would be fine without a clamp it that line test range.

akadashoe

Hey SCA,

Thanks for your input.
First off, I wasn't looking to assign blame to anyone, only for a fix to the problem.
You are correct, it was up to me to insure everything fit, even though the seller of the reel assured me it was "universally designed" to accept any reel seat, which I found out is not the case after talking to Avet.
(They also mention in their brochures and product information on the c.d. that all of their reels come standard with a rod clamp, which is incorrect as well. The SXJ does not)
As far as the size difference between the MXL and MXJ, the MXL spool is 7/16" wider than the MXJ.
That was the main reason I ordered that model, I figured it would be a better fit for the ALPS seat.
The MXL dimensions are nearly identical to a Squidder Jr. which ironically fits the ALPS seat perfectly.
I also talked to Karry Batson, the sales rep for ALPS products, and he agreed that the Avet reel feet designs are "all over the place" and that he has heard of the same issue previously.
What I would have like to have seen in this situation, ideally by BOTH manufacturer's, is similar to what Tiburon indicates in their product information for their frames, i.e. "The Tiburon frame will NOT fit Chinese made Penn reels".   That's a very honest and informative disclaimer.
Lastly, I am not a machinist by any stretch of the imagination, (I even find grinding down guide feet a challenge,  :D ) so grinding down on the clamp posts is not an option for me, as I would most likely end up with a frankenreel.
I will simply build another slightly heavier rod (most likely a 700M) for the MXL using a round-shaped reel seat, and use the 700ML with my Tiburonized 501 (which also fits perfectly)!
Definitely nothing to be sorry about.
I enjoy building rods it, it's therapy!

Regards,

Shoe