IF you could justify just one...

Started by steelhead_killer, February 10, 2016, 11:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

Which Newell reel would you own.  Please don't say a clear one for $5000.00.  One that you would use and pass down to the next generation of fisher people.  One that will stand the test of time and use?

Thanks!

Andy
><)))">

BMITCH

P-220 tib'ed out. Here on the east coast you can use it for seabass to striped bass and everything inbetween. Just my two cents worth.

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

STRIPER LOU

First choice 220, 2nd 229, third 322. I would stay away from the blackies or any of the models that have the long thru screws which some of the guys call sex screws.
The 220 is really a sweet little reel!
..............Lou

Newell Nut

G-220 and a G332 Both cast like a dream and the 332 can be fished easily with 30 and 40 lb mono. I prefer the G over the Ps because if you do not keep the screws lubricated and you don't seriously wash after each use then the screws could get seized in the P base or bars. The newer Ps are better than the old Ps as far as corrosion resistance. The early Gs are just fabulous Newells. I have too many but have difficulty parting with one. There are really nice.

SoCalAngler

It will really depend on where you fish, what type of fish targeted and method of used for catching the fish. For the type of fishing I do mainly in So Cal with bait and topshots to 30 lbs a P or G 220 if spectra backing or a 229 if not, surface iron on a longer jig stick up to 40 lb test again a P or G 322 if spectra backing or a 332 if not. For Ulua from shore I'll let the Hawaii guy give you info for that.

I would also go with a drag upgrade if the reel does not already have one. Tib frames are nice but for me I want to keep my Newell's as light as I can. Now if I was going to use heavier mono/topshots around 50 lb and above I may think about a Tib frame.

MarkT

The 332 was the standard reel for a Jig stick. The 322/332/338 are the same size as the Jigmaster 501/99/500.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

vilters

once you have had one, it's easy to justify more  ;D agree w/ above, 220/229 series for #15-25 lb, 322/332/338 series for #30-40 lb. my favorite is a p332 w/ tib frame and bryan's 5 stack drag kit. so fun for fishing surface iron! just got tom's stainless sleeve and dog to further upgrade it. back in the days when we had anchovies and albacore here in so cal, nothing would cast a chovy like a 220.

thinkwahoo

Tough question, but the G229-F is hard to beat for light lures, and light bait, but with the drag upgrade it'll handle school tuna, local tails, calicos on swim baits, and further south dorado.

For more serious tails, bigger school tuna a G332-F, again with the drag upgrade, is a workhorse, as well as, getting that cast out there where the tails are boiling.

MarkT

I guess I'm good because I found a p229f in the garage that spins like a top and has good drags. My son got it for $50 last summer and its been sitting around since then. It came with an Eagle Claw Starfire downrigger rod I need to throw out.

Update 2/11/16.
I just opened it up. It's been years since I've been in a Newell. It had dark red washers. Are those the originals from back when it was built? It has greased HT-100's now. I must say they were a superior design. Penn sure missed a bet by not buying Newell 35 years ago!  All the guys putting stainless parts in jigmasters and they still won't be as good as a 30+ year old Newell.

thorhammer

Bryan Young

My personal choice for an all around Newell would be a G332. Easy to cast, very light, just right in width, and a good all around reel for many different types of fishing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

cbar45

P-546 with Tiburon frame--perfect all-around reel for Hawaiian-style ulua fishing imho.. 8)

Chad

SoCalAngler

Quote from: MarkT on February 11, 2016, 05:32:50 AM
I guess I'm good because I found a p229f in the garage that spins like a top and has good drags. My son got it for $50 last summer and its been sitting around since then. It came with an Eagle Claw Starfire downrigger rod I need to throw out.

Update 2/11/16.
I just opened it up. It's been years since I've been in a Newell. It had dark red washers. Are those the originals from back when it was built? It has greased HT-100's now. I must say they were a superior design. Penn sure missed a bet by not buying Newell 35 years ago!  All the guys putting stainless parts in jigmasters and they still won't be as good as a 30+ year old Newell.

Most likely no, there not stock drag washers. Newell's came with a plastic like drag washer that were black that fit in between the metal washers, the red ones are most likely HT-100 upgraded drag washers. People at those times went to smoothies, super smoothies and a couple of different drag washers but went to HT-100's when they found out that they also will fit Newell reels and were much better.

I still have Penn's that have the dark red washers, one that I was just into is a 525 mag.

Unless Carl went to a different colored material for his drag washers, which IMO is highly unlikely because he was not focused on drag but on a better design of a Penn reel. 

MarkT

They look plastic, definitely not any kind of carbon fiber.  Either way they're out of there and the 4 greased HT-100's (3 up, one down) rock.

Both my 525 and 525 Mag have HT-100 woven carbon fiber, round drag washers... Not the later eared washers.

Weren't old Newell washers black with flecks gasket material or was that the old Smoothies?

SoCalAngler

You could even add another drag washer on top of the stack if wanted. With Newell reels there is room to add another carbon drag washer in between the belleville/top washer in the stack and the last metal washer on the gear. On most Newell reels there is room for mods like this for adding another washer without having going to a five stack.