IF you could justify just one...

Started by steelhead_killer, February 10, 2016, 11:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

Most of the original Ps had SS sleeves on the 4 stack drag systems. As Newell transitioned away from SS sleeves you could actually get an old P with the hardened bronze. After that they have always been hardened bronze and the only failure that I have seen was a cross threaded handle nut on one reel. The stock Newell parts work great and for a very long time. Bryan's drag kit will make any of them run better.

steelhead_killer

Special thank you to Newell Nut for some help getting my 332 humming!  I really appreciate the willingness to help!  Good peoples here!

Andy
><)))">

theluckpusher

has any one see a newell star like this --- it looks plastic with spacer sleeve bronzed attached to it
"To Hell with Luck, I'll bring the Luck with Me." ---Hemingway

theluckpusher

is this a late model P332F or a Frankinewell reel????  It is super clean but has Bronze gear sleeve - plastic star with attached bronze drag spacer - graphite reel - with matching plastic clicker - and plastic jack handle

the rod seat and clamp and spacer bar are all aluminum

and the handle is super clean the looks like the early p332f handle

I would appreciate any input thanks --- Sean Maguire
"To Hell with Luck, I'll bring the Luck with Me." ---Hemingway

MarkT

Looks like a late model P that they made towards the end.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Newell Nut

Quote from: theluckpusher on February 28, 2016, 09:40:54 PM
has any one see a newell star like this --- it looks plastic with spacer sleeve bronzed attached to it

These were not for P series. Ps have Aluminum stars. I have seen two of these but I forget what series they were in. It was not a good design in my opinion.

bluefish69

The Star & Spacer is from an old Blackie. I have a few of them.

As far as picking just one Newell Reel. I would take a P-229 F. It's one of the best work horse of the brand
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

thinkwahoo

The star spacer came out near the end of the G series, and was a mistake that Carl regretted.  Most reels that were sent in for service or repair had these replaced with separate units.  I've clamped these stars up in a mill, and cut off the drag spacer.

bluefish69

I was always told they were from the Blackie model

OOOOPS

mark d

As far as picking just one Newell Reel. I would take a P-229 F. It's one of the best work horse of the brand
[/quote]

why do people seem to prefer the p over the g ? i have read the history of newell that is stickied here and it does say there was a decline in quality over the years but it says it started after the g

thks, mark

bluefish69

Mark

The "G" model is a very good reel just my second choice. The "G" has a Graphite Handle, Graphite Jack Handle, Graphite Clicker Button & Graphite Reel Seat. I personally like the SS parts & Aluminum Reel Seat & handle on the "P" Series.

I have many of both Models because they are the best in the line of reels that Carl made.

Mike

mark d

thks for the explanation

mark

bluefish69

Frank

I have early G series reels with P series aluminum stars, aluminum handles, stainless jack levers and stainless clicker buttons. I guess what ever parts were left over from the P series were use up before converting to all graphite G's.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Frank

Quote from: Newell Nut on February 16, 2016, 09:45:17 PM
Quote from: Reel 224 on February 16, 2016, 04:42:56 PM
Dwight: I didn't follow that thing about squeezing the ring in the cup as you are installing it and getting an extra thread.

Joe
The plastic split ring will open wider than the threaded hole that the cup screws into. It can get stuck and you can ruin it by not paying attention. Screw the cup in until you get contact with the plastic split ring, then help it get smaller with a finger nail or something and then screw it on in. I am referring to reels that have bearing cups. If you don't have bearing cups as in a P or early G or no letters than don't worry.

Dwight

Replace the split ring with an O ring on the right side. You will have infinite spool adjustment and you wont have to worry about having the proper color split ring to get the spool centered. I've been doing this for a good 15 years without a glitch.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.