IF you could justify just one...

Started by steelhead_killer, February 10, 2016, 11:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Quote from: Frank on March 01, 2016, 07:54:34 PM
Quote from: Newell Nut on February 16, 2016, 09:45:17 PM
Quote from: Reel 224 on February 16, 2016, 04:42:56 PM
Dwight: I didn't follow that thing about squeezing the ring in the cup as you are installing it and getting an extra thread.

Joe
The plastic split ring will open wider than the threaded hole that the cup screws into. It can get stuck and you can ruin it by not paying attention. Screw the cup in until you get contact with the plastic split ring, then help it get smaller with a finger nail or something and then screw it on in. I am referring to reels that have bearing cups. If you don't have bearing cups as in a P or early G or no letters than don't worry.

Dwight

Replace the split ring with an O ring on the right side. You will have infinite spool adjustment and you wont have to worry about having the proper color split ring to get the spool centered. I've been doing this for a good 15 years without a glitch.

What size O ring Frank and where did you purchase it? I'm assuming you meant rubber O ring. Is that part # 50?

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Frank

Hey Joe.

You would be replacing a U-4 split ring with a U-2 O ring. I don't remember the size, it was quite awhile ago. I just took the O ring off the left side bearing cup and brought it to the hardware store, matched it up and bought ten and replaced all my right side split rings with the new O rings. Then you can play with both bearing cup adjustments until the spool  is perfectly centered. Also, use a good fitting brass washer in the bearing cup slots for adjustment if you want to avoid nicking up the cup screw slot.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Reel 224

Thanks Frank. I will look in my assortment of O rings to find a match. I can go to MSC or McMaster Carr for the brass washer.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

funhog

Enjoyed this thread very much. Two questions I don' t believed were answered.
  How much were they New, Back in the day?   I purchased all 5 of the P-F series from Turner's sporting goods in SoCal around 1983.  The 220 thru 338 sold for $127 ea. and the P454F was $157.
I still have them and they've been used a lot! I upgraded the drags with Bryans drag kits ( heavily greased) and I can get a lot more drag with them than i need, but I never use more than #15 on any of them,. With the upgraded drags, they are very smooth from zero to #15. Above that the smoothness can get a little wavy around 18#  and alot wavy beyond that(like about 2# difference on a spring scale) 0 to 15 is perfect! I love the sound a Newell makes when line is getting stripped off by a decent size fish with the drag somewhere between 6-12 with a full spool!
Lastly, Nothing has ever broke down on them other than the drags, I've replaced the bearings once and they are readily available and not expensive.   

steelhead_killer

Quote from: funhog on March 02, 2016, 04:48:51 AM
Enjoyed this thread very much. Two questions I don' t believed were answered.
  How much were they New, Back in the day?   I purchased all 5 of the P-F series from Turner's sporting goods in SoCal around 1983.  The 220 thru 338 sold for $127 ea. and the P454F was $157.
I still have them and they've been used a lot! I upgraded the drags with Bryans drag kits ( heavily greased) and I can get a lot more drag with them than i need, but I never use more than #15 on any of them,. With the upgraded drags, they are very smooth from zero to #15. Above that the smoothness can get a little wavy around 18#  and alot wavy beyond that(like about 2# difference on a spring scale) 0 to 15 is perfect! I love the sound a Newell makes when line is getting stripped off by a decent size fish with the drag somewhere between 6-12 with a full spool!
Lastly, Nothing has ever broke down on them other than the drags, I've replaced the bearings once and they are readily available and not expensive.   

Thank you!  Thats not much more than an Abu Garcia!   What a great value these Newell reels have been. 
><)))">

mark d

steelhead, i failed to mention what a beautiful reel you have there. good luck with it

steelhead_killer

Finally got a chance to cast the 332 out at the lake today.  12 rod, '30b test mono, 3 oz of lead, fzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz blop!

They certainly live up to the reputation.  Very happy!  Bring on the Albacore!  Thanks to everyone!

Andy
><)))">

Wicho5981

Never owned or know enough about Newell what would be average price to buy Newell g220f that would be worthwhile

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

Good luck finding one for that price. More like 150 to 185 range in mint condition.

Alto Mare

Everyone should have at least one Newell.
Here is mine

Dwight hooked me up with this one a while back.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Newell Nut on April 21, 2016, 11:10:39 PM
Good luck finding one for that price. More like 150 to 185 range in mint condition.
Really?  I must have been sleeping at the wheel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bluefish69

Bryan

I'm with NN on those prices. A "P" series goes $200.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Newell Nut

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 22, 2016, 01:11:23 AM
Everyone should have at least one Newell.
Here is mine

Dwight hooked me up with this one a while back.

Sal

This little power house has a few bucks tied up in it. Sweet reel there Sal.