IF you could justify just one...

Started by steelhead_killer, February 10, 2016, 11:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

As is it gets more than enough for fishing 25# which is probably the max I'd be looking to use a 229 for although with spectra it'd probably handle 30# with no issues.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

russ1962

Quote from: MarkT on February 13, 2016, 03:40:27 AM
They look plastic, definitely not any kind of carbon fiber.  Either way they're out of there and the 4 greased HT-100's (3 up, one down) rock.

Both my 525 and 525 Mag have HT-100 woven carbon fiber, round drag washers... Not the later eared washers.

Weren't old Newell washers black with flecks gasket material or was that the old Smoothies?

I have a Newell that had the same type of plastic washers. I thought they may have been teflon.
Changed mine out to HT-100's too.

russ1962

Quote from: steelhead_killer on February 10, 2016, 11:13:15 PM
Which Newell reel would you own.  Please don't say a clear one for $5000.00.  One that you would use and pass down to the next generation of fisher people.  One that will stand the test of time and use?

Thanks!

Andy

I hope that I never have to choose.  ;D

bluefish69

Over here we have a few guys that put 1 Teflon Washer on the bottom of the stack. They said it was better this way.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

ez2cdave

235 & 344 . . . I like wider spools.

Sulla

I guess if I could only have one it would be a P-440 8). There's just something about the feel of slinging iron on a big yet super light reel loaded with 40# test!

Newell Nut

That P 440 is a very sweet reel. Keep it clean and it will be running 30 years from now.

Sal got me interested in tested the delrin under the stack and the .030 thick Delrin washers under the gear and the .020 delrin on top of the stack between the top washer and the Belleville is very smooth. Glad Sal twisted my arm on that one and no drag pressure lost. Just got smoother.

Dwight

landlubber

we throw big chunk bait here on galveston so the P OR G  338 is highly  prefered.   but latly I  made/assembled a Tibed out special purple/black crossbread  2nd Gen P -series that Norma put together for me years ago yes its been in the box, it should be sweet cant wait to try it throwing a 3oz weight with a light bait.  that P220 is a sweety to I have 2 that are mint 1st generation. 

Brendan

I never decided which was the best and ended up with five. 220, 229, 322, 332 & 344. After reading this I think I put the wrong Delron under the gear on all but one Dwight.

steelhead_killer

OK I got my first Newell reel.  It is a 332-5.  (Thanks Newell Nut) Cant wait to learn a new reel!  From all the comments it appears that this will not be my last Newell reel.  So what normally needs to be upgraded on these reels first?

Thanks to everyone for your opinions and guidance!

Andy
><)))">

thinkwahoo

Andy, probably the first thing is to check that the bearings are smooth and quiet.  Even then flush the bearings out with aerosol parts cleaner (I use CRC), check that they now spin very well, followed by a couple drops of very light oil.

Next, check to see if the drags have been upgraded to carbon fiber drag material, Carbontex can be purchased thru Smoooth Drag, or just purchase HT100 drags that are used in Penn Jigmaster's.  Either set of drag washers should have a very thin layer of grease applied to make them work smoother.

Check to see the spool looks centered between the inside cage rings, and that there is no excessive side to side movement.  All you need is a little play to allow the spool to spin freely.

One final thing is to tighten the star very tight and make sure the star is not rubbing agains the side plate.

Reel 224

I also purchased a Newel R332 on Newell Nut's recommendation,this is a first for me also,but I didn't receive it yet.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Newell Nut

Quote from: thinkwahoo on February 16, 2016, 06:23:24 AM
Andy, probably the first thing is to check that the bearings are smooth and quiet.  Even then flush the bearings out with aerosol parts cleaner (I use CRC), check that they now spin very well, followed by a couple drops of very light oil.

Next, check to see if the drags have been upgraded to carbon fiber drag material, Carbontex can be purchased thru Smoooth Drag, or just purchase HT100 drags that are used in Penn Jigmaster's.  Either set of drag washers should have a very thin layer of grease applied to make them work smoother.

Check to see the spool looks centered between the inside cage rings, and that there is no excessive side to side movement.  All you need is a little play to allow the spool to spin freely.

One final thing is to tighten the star very tight and make sure the star is not rubbing agains the side plate.

X2 on what Jerry said. If the spool is centered well and spinning nice before you disassemble then no problem. Tiny little centering issues are solved with bearing spacer washers if needed. When you take out he handle side bearing cup in your case you will notice a plastic split ring. Different colors for different thicknesses installed at the factory. No need to change it but be careful putting the cup back in. Gently squeeze the ring together while getting an extra thread and all is well. Some people that are not familiar may feel a little resistance on the screw driver and get on it hard. This will chew up your split ring and they are very hard to find. Pay attention and no problem. No issue on the left side. That is an o ring so lube and go.

Dwight

Reel 224

Dwight: I didn't follow that thing about squeezing the ring in the cup as you are installing it and getting an extra thread.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Newell Nut

Quote from: Reel 224 on February 16, 2016, 04:42:56 PM
Dwight: I didn't follow that thing about squeezing the ring in the cup as you are installing it and getting an extra thread.

Joe
The plastic split ring will open wider than the threaded hole that the cup screws into. It can get stuck and you can ruin it by not paying attention. Screw the cup in until you get contact with the plastic split ring, then help it get smaller with a finger nail or something and then screw it on in. I am referring to reels that have bearing cups. If you don't have bearing cups as in a P or early G or no letters than don't worry.

Dwight