My Omoto Trio

Started by Steve-O, February 08, 2011, 05:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve-O

I picked up  two more Omoto reels today...this time a sweet little blue VS 10 ( Taiwanese Avet SX Clone) and a graphite 25 levelwind 2 speed. That makes the third after getting the VS 16 for Christmas. Having already opened and gone through the 16 I knew the drag disks would need teflon grease and perhaps a spot of marine grease on the reel seat screws and other places.  The little VS 10 is VERY robust. You guys and gals with the reel deal Avets must like them a lot. The drags on both new reels were wet but it seems to me it is some heavy weight oil instead of drag grease. The balance of the reel parts are greased well like we here would do them so Kudos! to Omoto and their other branding Pelagic Extreme  which is what mine are. A CNC machined solid, close tolerance, quality engineered and built 2-speed reel for a hundred bucks? I'm happy and so is my wallet. I'm hoping I got way more that what I paid for. The red graphite frame is going to show black boat rash REAL quick but it is made for fishing and not sitting on the shelf. Anyway here's a few pics.

Steve-O

floating doc

So, how have these held up? Have you opened them up after a season?
Central Florida

Black Pearl

Steve-O has not been in this site since 12/22/2011.

floating doc

Thank you. I was curious about these reels, but if I think of buying one, I just remind myself that I bought a Shimano TT30 in 1986.

It had the canvas drag that locked solid if the reel got the slightest bit damp. Did you ever notice that fishing reels get used around water? >:(

If I had the reel today, then I could change it over to a carbon fiber drag, but at the time all I knew to do was ask Shimano for help. They blew me off; I guess you could say literally since they actually suggested that I carry a hair dryer!

I've NEVER bought another Shimano reel.
Central Florida

Dominick

Quote from: Black Pearl Fishing Tackle on June 28, 2012, 01:47:49 AM
Steve-O has not been in this site since 12/22/2011.
I contacted him a month or so ago.  He's fine just very busy.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.