Never turn your back to the sea

Started by Marcq, February 12, 2016, 12:18:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

seems to me the guy in yellow could have acted a little quicker, but also seemed that none of them really had much of a clue when it comes to approaching the surf. 
so glad to hear they all made it out alive.

whalebreath

Not a popular stance but I wouldn't have tried to save anyone they're adults and are living or dying with the results of their decisions.

And Yes I have experienced something similar on the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica but I was alone/facing the ocean and managed to extricate myself no one else was around.

FWIW if there were children involved I can envision another response scenario.

johndtuttle

Pro Tip:

If you want to stand on wet sand be prepared to get wet or swim or don't go there. ESPECIALLY storm surf.

Was out at Ano Nuevo preserve (nor cal) one January and watched a family with tiny ones go out on a beach way below the wet sand line looking at sea shells....Minutes before we had seen 4 feet of storm surf every bit as rough in the video right where they were....

I ran down and told them to get themselves and their children off that beach right now if they wanted to live. Fortunately they moved quick before the next surge came in....People have no clue how much storm surf can surge....If the sand is wet...there is a reason its wet.

One look at this video and you can see all involved have zero perception of their situation, until it happens...and they mindlessly float out to sea. One of the victims appears to be an elderly woman...just incredibly bad judgement...

Marcq

Quote from: johndtuttle on February 14, 2016, 03:56:56 AM
Pro Tip:

If you want to stand on wet sand be prepared to get wet or swim or don't go there. ESPECIALLY storm surf.

Was out at Ano Nuevo preserve (nor cal) one January and watched a family with tiny ones go out on a beach way below the wet sand line looking at sea shells....Minutes before we had seen 4 feet of storm surf every bit as rough in the video right where they were....

I ran down and told them to get themselves and their children off that beach right now if they wanted to live. Fortunately they moved quick before the next surge came in....People have no clue how much storm surf can surge....If the sand is wet...there is a reason its wet.

One look at this video and you can see all involved have zero perception of their situation, until it happens.

Last week I was on Divorce beach in  Cabo San Lucas surf fishing, that beach is known to be dangerous for swimmers and yet people were taking chances swimming there, I really felt uncomfortable since I don't swim very well . What do you do?

Marc..

johndtuttle

Quote from: Marcq on February 14, 2016, 06:19:02 AM
Pro Tip:

One look at this video and you can see all involved have zero perception of their situation, until it happens.

Last week I was on Divorce beach in  Cabo San Lucas surf fishing, that beach is known to be dangerous for swimmers and yet people were taking chances swimming there, I really felt uncomfortable since I don't swim very well . What do you do?

Marc..

All you can do is turn your head...I say something when children are involved. When I lived in Carmel I was at the beach nearly every day. Summer is generally not too dangerous but in the winter the surf is HUGE like Mavericks huge at Carmel Point or Ghost Tree. What's frightening is when the parents are clueless and their children are too close to the surf...I say something regardless to keep the kids safe. Adults, they won't listen...but parents with children will listen usually if you take a gentle approach.

Maxed Out

That looks like a boat ramp of some sort. You'd think there would be signage warning of tidal surge right at the cutout for that ramp. My guess is these surges happen frequently at this location when it's stormy. Look in the distance and I see a huge rock towering out of the water and the huge storm surge is crashing right over it....a good sign that it's a bad time to go beachcombing  ;D

Glad they made it out alive. What amazes me is the sudden calmness of the elderly lady who was swept away. Surely most people would panic and start flailing their arms and legs, but she calmly laid on her back with arms to her sides and floated like an air mattress. I admit it was tough to watch, and knowing they were unscathed prior to watching made it easier to watch the whole thing.

Ted !
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

fsrmn

That reminds me of Daytona Beach FL in 1992. A rogue 18' wave hit the beach on a calm night.
Surprise!  :o  :o
https://m.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.329224647163228.77597.105097232909305&type=3
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

theswimmer

Pro Tip:

That coast from Santa Cruz to Pacifica can be really tough.
I fish the surf mostly from Ano Nuevo to Pescadero and have seen at low tide storm surge hitting the high tide marks.
15-18 waves are very common during stormy periods.
Time to give up on fishing and retreat to Duartes!

One look at this video and you can see all involved have zero perception of their situation, until it happens...and they mindlessly float out to sea. One of the victims appears to be an elderly woman...just incredibly bad judgement...
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Newell Nut

Quote from: fsrmn on February 17, 2016, 12:22:19 PM
That reminds me of Daytona Beach FL in 1992. A rogue 18' wave hit the beach on a calm night.
Surprise!  :o  :o
https://m.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.329224647163228.77597.105097232909305&type=3

I remember that one and glad I was not on the beach at the time.

Lately it has been too rough for the Pastime Princess to go out and fish and some guy went out Sunday or Monday and never returned in a small boat. The boat was found and they just announced ending the search for his body. Water has great power that people tend to not respect. I learned some of those lessons when I did whitewater canoeing in my younger days.

foakes

I believe we are living in a "Disneyland" society.

Too many folks think that Nature is not serious or life threatening, until too late.

A great many folks are too soft when it comes to the common sense aspect of respect for the wonderful things that Nature has to offer.

As to the issue of "trying to save someone" from an aggressive riptide or deep surf -- care must be instantly weighed against the percentage of a successful rescue -- without also losing the rescuer.

Any professional first responder will tell us that.  It takes prep, experience, equipment, wisdom -- and luck is not a factor for a pro.  It is a low percentage bet for amateurs.

Not easy decisions -- and I am not saying one should in every case, not attempt a rescue...

But to add to the body count is not useful for anyone.

Common sense and respect.

Just my opionions.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

theswimmer

Totally agree Fred.
As a certified rescue swimmer I would not go into the water without a two man team to back me up as well as all my gear.
IE: type 4 river PFD , helmet, wetsuit etc.
Water temp will kill you quicker than any thing lse.
I want to help , not die...,..
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

foakes

Without prep, experience, and training in dangerous situations -- the rescuers become additional statistics more often than not.

Even on the Fire Department -- when going into a smoke filled building with full tanks, masks, and gear -- the rules are unbreakable -- two in -- two out.  Five minutes in -- five minutes out.  Constant communication. 

Otherwise additional injuries, or worse occur.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.