Fin - Nor Marquesa 16 problem

Started by swoffer, February 12, 2016, 12:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swoffer

Hi folks,   need a bit of advice please .

I have a Marquesa in at the moment that has me stumped.

It has no free spool when the leaver is in the FS position , I can get it to freespool by backing the preset knob right out but then of course there is no drag when yiu push the drag lever up .

It had this problem when it came in so I stripped it clean and lube , changed a couple of bearings , could not find any obvious faults , reassemble and problem still same .

Any ideas ?

Cheers Al

handi2

Was the pinion bearing changed also? That's usually the problem.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

swoffer

Quote from: handi2 on February 12, 2016, 12:50:24 AM
Was the pinion bearing changed also? That's usually the problem.

Hi Handi , just so im clear , you mean the smaller bearing that runs directly on the pinion gear yes ?

No actually I didn't change that one , but not hard to go back in and do it, if the fix is as simple as that I will be very exited .

How does this bearing affect freespool ? Does it expand ?

Cheers Al

akfish

I wouldn't guess that it is a pinion bearing problem. That bearing is the first to go but shouldn't eliminate free spool. Look at the belleville washers -- the cupped washers on the (I believe) left side of the spool to see how they are arranged. If they are like this: ()() as opposed to this: (()) the free spool will be affected.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

swoffer

Still having trouble with this one .

Can anyone point me to a tutorial that will get me inside the spool and deep into the lever system for the drag please ?

The only one I have been able to find doesnt go into these areas .

Cheers Al

MarkT

Had you completely disassembled it?  Sounds like the pressure plate is stuck against the drag washer. The spring (12) needs to be able to push the plate away from the spool when you go into free spool. Is one of the bearings (17 or 85) frozen to the spool arbor?  They need to be able to slide on the spool arbor so that the spring can push the plate away from the spool.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

swoffer

Hi Mark

Until last night , no I hadnt gone into the the shaft for a couple reaons . Firstly I could not find a tute on how to do it and secondly I could not find a key to remove the 4 tiny screws that hold the cast brake assembly in .
When I completely disassembled the lever drag system I found a nylon or polycarbonate washer hiding between the drag lever and the reel body that was half missing , fortunately a local tackle shop had one in stock  so 4 dollars solved that one .
Then it was time to look into the shaft .
The problem as it turned out was the tiniest bit of rust on  the shaft that was stopping the bearing number 17 that you mentioned from sliding out far enough to move the pressure plate away from the drag washer. The amount of rust was was so small as to be barely visible , but was clearly enough to cause the problem . So into the chuck of the drill it went , bit of 1200 grade wet n dry wrapped around it , quick polish and away she went . Trip to the bearing shop today should see this reel back in service.

Thanks for the pointers guys .

Cheers Al