115L build

Started by BMITCH, February 12, 2016, 05:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

Not sure where to post this..so feel free to move wherever. Just got done doing an "almost" complete rebuild of a 115 which was given to me. Actually my buddy gave me two of these reels and both were mounted on Sam Scott roller guide rods. Both of these reels looked as if they've had never been serviced. So I picked the least pitted one and started to order parts.

You can see I bought thr Cortez conversions 9/0 frame in black. The reel had a steel gear so I didn't get Alan C's SS gears. But I did get the SS gear sleeve from Alan T. It also has the handle from the boss along with the HD Keta krank arm👍🏻😉 in addition to the above I installed the drop in set of versa type drag from Adam. These drag kits are AWESOME!!!! I was able to have a friend send me a set of SS dogs along with SS yoke and SS springs for the dog. So this girl was double dogged...alternating.

And the finished reel next to her sister which I may or may not do. We will see!!

And alone😀😀😀😀😀

So final cost$$$$$$$$$$$$

$0.00.        115 (free thanks to my friend)
$53.00.      Rings(because nothing but new ones would do)
$100.00.    Frame (whorth every penny of it)
$15.00.      Keta krank arm( from another friend here who was willing to part with one)
$40.00.      Handle from the boss
$33.00.      SS gear sleeve also from the boss
$47.00.      Cf upgrade from Adam( these are a perfect fit)
$0.00.        SS yoke,dogs and springs ( again from another friend here at A.T.😉)
----------
$288.00.   

This is a reel that WILL see action. I'm going to use this one for my deep line when I get out to the canyons this coming fall. Spooled with 600 yards of Pro Challenger hollow thunder. This is nice line from Alan C. I feel like the perfect amount for backing on this reel. Then maybe fill up the remaining with 80# izorline XXX or the Momoi diamond. Not sure yet. Either way it looks like a fish killer.

Bob

luck is the residue of design.

thorhammer

Bob, very sweet build! My build-out with Tom's frame is almost identical and situation is too...gotta get rings now that I see the frame. I may try the double dawg dare...we'll see. i spool as follows: 25 yds 100lb mono as backer to prevent slip; 600 yds high vis 100lb power pro, topped off with 80lb Ande Back Country Green Envy.

BMITCH

I just felt the rings needed to be new. Does justice to the frame Tom produces. Plus if they are gonna be scratched, I'm gonna scratch um!! Lol

thorhammer

DaBigOno

Nicely done Bob,  : :o

I really like your carving work for the added dog spring, nice and clean.  I like your call on using NEW rings also.

I'm pulling pieces together for my build also, I hope I can get away with what you did it for, but I highly doubt it   :D

Thanks for the pics and the lesson on how to do it right!

Al
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Shark Hunter

Excellent work Bob. ;)
One of my favorites to Hot rod.
Life is Good!

BMITCH

Daron, this IS the largest reel I own. For the kind of fishing I do...if I can't get the fish to the boat with Adams drag stack in there...well, it wasn't ment to be caught. At first I wasn't too red hot on the chromed spool, but now I'm kinda liking it. I was able to chuck up my dremmell bits into my bench top drill press. Using the depth stop on the drill press, I was able to make a clean even space for the second dog. The SS dogs just dropped in as alternating. I didn't have to mod those at all. The SS springs are really sweet. Very sturdy reel. I think I'll keep this one😉👍🏻

Bob

Shark Hunter

You probably have the most powerful Senator their is pound for pound.
For what you have in it, I hope you get into something to test the power that reel is capable of.
The upgrades we came up with here really turn it into something extraordinary.
You do good work Bob. ;)
Life is Good!

BMITCH

There is a bunch of good instructors here!!!! ;) ;D ;D

Alto Mare

You did good Bob ;).
Now, let me see a pic of a nice blue on that thing...and I don't mean bluefish ;D
Good Job!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

These after market parts...like Toms frame and Adams inserts..make all the upgrades easy. It's amazing to me how far all this has come in the last three years. Most of it started with Lee's dogs.. :o lots of fun and function.

BMITCH

And of course the Alan T's SS sleeves and your double dogs. ;D

FatTuna

I like the look of that topless frame.

David Hall

thanks now I have the standard to build to.