Penn 114: Fish or Collect?

Started by cbar45, February 13, 2016, 06:46:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbar45

Hello, I'm fairly new to the collectibles side of the craft; all my vintage gear gets a healthy dose of saltwater right alongside their modern counterparts... ;D That being said, I've been poring over the postings here and you folks have inspired me to start a more serious collection--beginning with Penn's 6/0 Senator models. Ideally, I'd like to have a clean and accurate representation of each generation 114/114H that was produced, along with their corresponding boxes if possible. The following photos are of a 50's era reel I thought to start with, but now I'm not certain if it's a worthy candidate.

For one thing, the spool, star, and right-outer trim ring will need to be replaced--in addition to polishing the handle and buffing out a few light scratches elsewhere on the chrome. The box itself has no rips or tears, but it does have bad oil stains and what appears to be a few runs of paint over the picture. Mechanically the reel is mint; it's the aesthetics that concern me. Do you think a better representation could be had, or would I still come out the same if I sourced period-correct parts to replace those corroded and damaged? What's a good rationale for making these types of decisions?

Appreciate the insight as my game plan for now seems to be if it looks old, appears decent, and is priced right--then buy it...;)

Thanks, Chad

cbar45

PS,

All I did before the photos was a light cleaning, oiling of the bushings, and removal of corrosion from the spool.

Other than that, the reel appears as it was when I received it.

Chad

Shark Hunter

That looks like a keeper to me Chad. Those rings look really nice.
I bought one of these a long time ago in great shape.

Its not perfect, but I think its plinth worthy. ;)
Life is Good!

cbar45

Nice photos Daron, that reel you're showing looks almost like a twin!

Chad

FatTuna

I'm not a collector in the sense that other people are collectors. I collect reels to fish.

My philosophy is life is short, might as well not drive yourself crazy. I realized that nothing can ever be perfect; there is only near perfect. I used to be a real perfectionist. I gave that up.   

I think that reel looks pretty sweet. I don't think something has to be perfect in order to be collectible, it just has to mean something to you.

I think you should just keep as it is. I wanted to clean up a 6/0 I had. I ordered the parts and they ended up cost more than I paid for the reel! Now I'm trying to get my money back out of them as I have a bunch of bills to pay....

TomT

Chad,
I am not a collector, although I own far more reels than I can ever use!! ;)   From your pictures of the reel and box, I would say your reel is definitely worthy of being in a collection.  Either way congratulations on a great reel!!
TomT

Penn Chronology

Hello Chad,

The reel you have shown here is a collectible. The condition it is in makes it desirable, having the box adds to that. The box can be dated to 1957, 58 or 59. Deciding what to do with any collectible is totally up the individual. There are collectors that want their pieces to shine better than when they came out of the factory. Others are more concerned with keeping a survivor out of the garbage. There really are no rules, you do what makes you happy. In terms of resale, keeping the reel in the best working order it can be brought back to using the original parts, or you may want to turn it into a Tani Tank, so you can catch fish with it that it was never intended for. Either way,the criteria is to enjoy the project any way you can.

Welcome to this site. You find some of the best minds in the sport right here in these pages, and I am here too!........................................ ;D

vilters

agree with above advice. that is a nice reel, very collection worthy. if a nicer one came along then great.  I recently bought a more recent 6/0 114 in unfished condition. it is very nice, but still not perfect, small scratches, etc. and the top is missing off the box. I would like to replace the box, but enjoy the reel as is. I feel that nice penns will hold and appreciate in value. and yes, you have come to the right place for advice/help. oh, and continue to post pics as your collection grows

Maxed Out

Nice reel and box Chad. Those 1950's boxes are my favorites. Great find !

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

coastal_dan

Shew, that is an awesome piece.  I would stick it on the shelf, you can get another 114 HL or 114 HLW for around $75 - $100 (Used - USA Made) on eBay or your local craigslist.  Either way you choose, nice reel!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

DaBigOno

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

cbar45

Quote from: coastal_dan on February 18, 2016, 02:35:34 PM
Shew, that is an awesome piece.  I would stick it on the shelf, you can get another 114 HL or 114 HLW for around $75 - $100 (Used - USA Made) on eBay or your local craigslist.  Either way you choose, nice reel!

Dan, I like the way you think.. ;D

Chad

surfcaster

I would fish it!  Reels That Are not Fished are like  cars or bikes that are not driven.
guns that are not fired, just preserved resale value for the next owner. Semper Fi, Richie

cbar45

Quote from: Penn Chronology on February 18, 2016, 01:05:12 AM
Hello Chad,

The reel you have shown here is a collectible. The condition it is in makes it desirable, having the box adds to that. The box can be dated to 1957, 58 or 59. Deciding what to do with any collectible is totally up the individual. There are collectors that want their pieces to shine better than when they came out of the factory. Others are more concerned with keeping a survivor out of the garbage. There really are no rules, you do what makes you happy. In terms of resale, keeping the reel in the best working order it can be brought back to using the original parts, or you may want to turn it into a Tani Tank, so you can catch fish with it that it was never intended for. Either way,the criteria is to enjoy the project any way you can.

Welcome to this site. You find some of the best minds in the sport right here in these pages, and I am here too!........................................ ;D

Hi Mike, I really appreciate your input and info on the reel. You put to rest my concerns about this reel being collectible-quality. I suppose browsing through all the beautiful examples shown on this forum influenced me to set the bar way up in the stratosphere..;)

Quote from: FatTuna on February 13, 2016, 07:40:49 AM
I'm not a collector in the sense that other people are collectors. I collect reels to fish.

My philosophy is life is short, might as well not drive yourself crazy. I realized that nothing can ever be perfect; there is only near perfect. I used to be a real perfectionist. I gave that up.    

I think that reel looks pretty sweet. I don't think something has to be perfect in order to be collectible, it just has to mean something to you.

I think you should just keep as it is. I wanted to clean up a 6/0 I had. I ordered the parts and they ended up cost more than I paid for the reel! Now I'm trying to get my money back out of them as I have a bunch of bills to pay....

Thanks for your input. I also also have a tendency to be a perfectionist at times, sometimes it's worth it in the sense that it brings laser-like focus to a task or problem; Other times it can be a stumbling block preventing one from moving forward, it's good to be reminded of that.

Quote from: TomT on February 14, 2016, 05:59:44 AM
Chad,
I am not a collector, although I own far more reels than I can ever use!! ;)   From your pictures of the reel and box, I would say your reel is definitely worthy of being in a collection.  Either way congratulations on a great reel!!
TomT

Thank you Tom!

Quote from: vilters on February 18, 2016, 01:57:45 AM
agree with above advice. that is a nice reel, very collection worthy. if a nicer one came along then great.  I recently bought a more recent 6/0 114 in unfished condition. it is very nice, but still not perfect, small scratches, etc. and the top is missing off the box. I would like to replace the box, but enjoy the reel as is. I feel that nice penns will hold and appreciate in value. and yes, you have come to the right place for advice/help. oh, and continue to post pics as your collection grows

Thanks for your perspective vilters,  I ended up taking the reel apart for a full cleaning and service, will post some photos when I get a chance. Good luck with your new 6/0.

Quote from: Max Doubt on February 18, 2016, 02:00:58 AM
Nice reel and box Chad. Those 1950's boxes are my favorites. Great find !

Hi Ted and thanks! Older Senators in good condition are very hard to find where I'm at. Most of them saw duty for countless hours on the water and have the battle scars to show it. I believe it was one of your posts that sparked my interest in collecting and restoring older Penns. The photos shown in that post would have done old Otto proud.

Chad