Metal Rescue

Started by Tightlines667, February 15, 2016, 11:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

A customer gave me a bottle of a rust remover product the other day.  I found an old rusty file in the water at my fishing hole, and decided to give it a test run.  I mixed it up 50/50 with water and soaked the file for 24hrs.  Here are the results...

After the soak, the submerged portion showed complete removal of all of the rust.  However, the solution and the treated part showed strong discoloration.  Everything turned black.  I may try to treat the blackened surface with naval jelly to see if I can remove the black anodizing.  This test shows it is best to test any new products before applying to expensive parts.  Notice that I did not follow the directions on the label which clearly states... promptly remove the part from the solution once the rust dissappears or darkening may result.

Just thought I'd share my findings.

Note:  I am not affiliated in any way with this product.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bryan Young

John, can you try the other half as recommended?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Might consider just trying half of the remaining half --

That way we can see results -- done per specs, just original rust, overdone.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 16, 2016, 01:55:38 AM
John, can you try the other half as recommended?
Looks promising...you beat me to it Bri-Bri, I was going to request the same.
Thanks for doing this John.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Does that discoloration effect the files cutting ability? If not I would hit it with a file brush and be done with it.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Tightlines667

Guess, I have trouble following directions...or something...since I simply flipped it upside down and resubmerged the other half plus some that had already been treated.  I pulled it out after 15 minutes, and the rust was starting to dissipate but the other side appeared to be a mix of black or rusty metal.  I resubmerged the file and left it to head into town on buisness.  I will check it when I get back and post results after a 4-5hr soak at 50% concentrate.  I expect the metal will be rust free but show the characteristic black-colored anodizing.  Be interesting to see if the double-treated metal will be darker black, and if that that was treated at 1/6 the time will be equally black color.  

Looks to me like this is a safe biodegradable product that does indeed remove rust on badly corroded steel, but that it has a propensity to cause black anodizing to the raw metal underneith.

Maybe I can find some other corroded parts to experiment with?
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

Quote from: Reel 224 on February 16, 2016, 02:51:07 AM
Does that discoloration effect the files cutting ability? If not I would hit it with a file brush and be done with it.

Joe

Nope.

The file seems to be functioning good as new.  I rescued it from the sea, and have given it a new life and unique look. 
Hope springs eternal

Reel 224

Quote from: Tightlines666 on February 16, 2016, 02:55:04 AM
Quote from: Reel 224 on February 16, 2016, 02:51:07 AM

Joe

Nope.

The file seems to be functioning good as new.  I rescued it from the sea, and have given it a new life and unique look. 

Well that it then, good as new with a little stile. ;D

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Three se7ens

Looks like the results of ospho.  But the no acids, etc claim is interesting.  There has to be a chemical reaction taking place, so Im curious what the active ingredient is.

Tightlines667

The stuff certainly seems relatively benign and only reactive towards oxides.  Wish I could remember my chemistry, guess I could check the pH B4 & after reacting, though I doubt I'd see much change.  Seems safe to work with and gets the job done.  

I ended up running the file over a brass brush on a grinder to clean it up a bit,

and I noticed there were some small nodules of rust remaining after a 4hr soak....

...yet other, less heavily scaled surfaces had already oxidized black.  Guess it would work well on parts that are uniformly rusted best.  

I prefer jelly though since it seems less likely to cause the black plating issue.  BTW marine jelly treatment does not seem to remove the black anodizing .
Hope springs eternal

broadway

It can't be too strong of a chemical reaction, as they recommend gloves but says they aren't necessary... never seen a claim like that on a rust dissolver that actually works.
Thanks for sharing your findings,
Dom

Reel 224

Well if it's recommend by Frank Fritz of rag pickers than that is got a be good! ;D ;D

Joe

Keta

Quote from: Three se7ens on February 16, 2016, 03:14:48 AM
Looks like the results of ospho.  But the no acids, etc claim is interesting.  There has to be a chemical reaction taking place, so Im curious what the active ingredient is.

I was going to say phosphoric acid (Ospho's active ingredient) but it is an acid.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain