400 series bridge plate with double dogs

Started by Delflein, February 17, 2016, 12:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delflein

I purchased a no letter 454-5 a while back and noticed it has double dogs. Thought someone might of switched it with a 500 series, but the bridge stem/sleeve is shorter (400 series). Question: Was there a run with double dogs for the 400 series? I have 3 other 400 series with single dogs.

Sulla

As far as I know all 400 series newell had only one dog. Perhapse someone added a second dog as and upgrade. If that's the case I'd love to see a tutorial on how it could be done.

Newell Nut

400 series have a single dog. A machinist can easily modify one to have a double dog identical to a 500 series and use the same dog and spring. I have never seen a single dog fail so not worried about it.

thinkwahoo

Carl made a few of these, and some got into production.  Since the 400 bridge plate is the same as they use in the 300 series I bought a couple from Norma and put them in my jig casting reels.

I've sent Bryan some bridge plates to have the holes drilled and pins made to convert single to double dogs for some more of my reels.

In most cases the single has worked just fine for a lot of years, but when fishing wahoo, or school tuna it couldn't hurt having the double dogs.

PacRat

I made a 322 out of a pile of parts and this is what I did. I think it's a 200 series bridge but I'm not certain. I did the double dogs and made the springs from scratch. The dog springs are captive to the bridge so they stay in place real nice. The fit to the plate was tight and I had to do a lot of Dremel work. The Newell plastic doesn't behave as well as the old Penn baketites and the plastic gets very thin in some areas. If I were to do it again, I would alter the dog location slightly...but I wouldn't do it again. I agree that a single dog is fine for this reel. I was just getting carried away and wanted to see if I could do it.
-Mike

Cortez_Conversions

I'm working on adding a second dog to bridges. Are there are any specific reels that need the attention first?
All it would require is sending me your bridge and I'll add it.
Like Dwight, I've not seen a single dog fail but with the higher drag numbers we are putting out of our reels, it's cheap insurance.
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Bryan Young

Tom, can I give Mark's plates to you to drill out?  I don't have extra dogs to confirm the pin location.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

thinkwahoo

Bryan, I have pawls and tension springs if you need them. What you're are doing is duplicating the spring pin and pawl pin on the other side of the bridge plate, plus one more hole for the anchor point of the tension spring.

The right side plate needs a slight mod for the spring clearance.  Just a small amount of plastic removed.

bluefish69

Tom

I have some of Lee's SS Dogs if you need them

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: bluefish69 on February 20, 2016, 05:04:16 AM
Tom

I have some of Lee's SS Dogs if you need them

Mike
Thanks for the offer Mike. I make my own though.
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Delflein

Tom, I would be interested with my 400 series plates. Brings more peace of mind when fishing for Ulua.

handi2

I just opened a 440 and it has double dogs. Is this normal?

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Newell Nut

No that is not normal. Someone modified it. Jerry has a few of those cute things stashed I think. I have not been able to whine enough to get one yet. ;D

handi2

It looks totally factory. I hope the next one in the box has the same.

Thanks
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Delflein

I rechecked mine and it looks factory done also. No signs of modifying. Same rivets(?)