Bantam 100

Started by oc1, February 20, 2016, 12:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hytekrednek

Quote from: oc1 on February 22, 2016, 08:48:57 AMOh, I get what you're saying now Netz.  The disadvantages of a disengaging levelwind becomes magnified as the width of the spool and/or the size of the fish increases.  Both put more lateral pressure on the levelwind guide making the pawl eat into the worm.  That seems like something Shimano could have overcome if they put better metal in the guide, pawl and worm.  Guess the guys at Shimano never met a tarpon or a snook.

You'll get a chuckle out of this....  Phil White in his 2008 book quoting the Shimano catalog of the day...
Shimano cataloged the Bantam 400 as the perfect reel for "light tackle saltwater, muskie amd northerns".  They expanded on that description by stating that it was "Quite possibly the finest reel ever designed for the salt water plug fisherman."
White also notes, This reel only had limited listings in catalogs of the time, and thus is a bit harder to find for the collector today.

I wouldn't want Phil White to feel like I am stealing his very hard-earned research and will note that his book is a valuable and informative 198 page reference for reel collectors available at:
http://www.oldreels.com

-steve

I have wanted a copy of this book for years. I have been searching, but no luck yet. If anyone here has one they are willing to sell, or know how I can get a copy, please let me know. Just borrowing a copy to read would be awesome too if possible.

I love these little old reels. My grandfather gave me his that is like new. Ever since then I have been reading about them, and even got another to use so I don't ruin the one that means so much to me. I'm hooked on these little Shimanos