tld star 15/30 and 20/40

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juan and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Craigen

My BNIB 15/30 order was cancelled by vendor as out of stock AFTER he charged my CC!   >:(.  So I'm considering a used Stardrag 3GT instead. BUT it's missing the clamp parts.
Will the generic Shimano RSC1C rod clamp kit be the right size?  It's widely available.  Cheers...

Craigen

I ordered the clamps. Stand by for results...
Dawn at Smoothdrag is sending me the parts for my upgrade of a 3GT.  But I was wondering if the Spool Shaft Bushing part #TGT0082 in the right side plate beneath the cast control cap can be replaced with a bearing.  I'm not sure what size it is.  OR, if this would be something of little added value.

alantani

hold off for now.  your reel should be good to fish as is.  let's see if you have any problems down the line before you start making changes. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Craigen

Craigen

Will the TGT0604 Torium handle fit these reels?

alantani

it should.  double check that the hole is 5x8mm.

basto

Some choices, but the Torium handle is the strongest.

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Craigen

Thanks Basto,
From what I can tell the parts needed for the Torium handle (TGT0604) are:
handle nut screw (BNT001, BNT0770, TGT0001, TGT0128)
11mm handle nut (BNT2680, TGT0262)
handle nut plate (BNT2679, TGT0261) known by various part numbers.
All this gets tricky and will cost $36!  I'd hate to get the wrong parts.
Alan's handle is looking better! Cheers...

basto

Yes, I'm sure Alan`s handle is a good one.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Craigen

I just finished the upgrades on my Triton Stardrag 3GT.  With the reel purchase on Ebay and three bearings replaced, drag washers plus Alan's handle; I have "invested" ~$150 in an "obsolete" reel resurrected from the 1980's!  It was fun to do and I look forward to catching some decent fish on it. I'm not likely to ever sell it for what I put into it because not many anglers are wise to it's features and would just think it's another old fashioned reel. I've learned the kayakers and big cat fishermen do have high regard for these reels.  And what a great ALBACORE reel-- what's that?
Later I'll spool it up with some line and see what kind of drag numbers I get.  Maybe post a picture of it, looks great.  Cheers...

Leerie18

The power handle assembly of the Fin-Nor LTC16 is also a fit.
LBG addict!

Craigen

Good to know.  What size is the handle nut for the FinNor LTC16 handle that fits?

Leerie18

Apologies for the delayed response - I have no idea of the Fin-nor handle nut size as I have simply been using the Shimano 15/30 - 20/40 - Speedmaster handle nut, nut-plate and screw, of which I have a few as spares. I see that these have been discontinued.

LBG addict!

Gfish

Quote from: Craigen on June 04, 2018, 10:07:43 PM
My BNIB 15/30 order was cancelled by vendor as out of stock AFTER he charged my CC!   >:(.  So I'm considering a used Stardrag 3GT instead. BUT it's missing the clamp parts.
Will the generic Shimano RSC1C rod clamp kit be the right size?  It's widely available.  Cheers...

Don't know if this's relevant or not, but I've noticed on the big auction site that many reels are advertised for sale without the clamp assembly that they were originally sold with. Several times I've seen the same seller(reel sans clamp), offering the clamp parts separately.
Also, It seems like there's possibly good, or mostly good, reels disassembled, with the parts sold individually at a pretty high price.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

alantani

i thought they came without clamps....   :-\