Mitchell 498 PRO Tournament reel - interesting features

Started by Membedeep, February 24, 2016, 10:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Chad, what is your reel sprayed with to get that pretty new finish? I recently came by some Z and big Mitchell gimps that I will refinish in the future.

thanks!

John

cbar45

Hi John,

I'm afraid I can't help much, as I had someone do the paint work for me about 6-7 years ago.

Don't  remember what was used, other than it being a standard two-part paint in either Dark Cherry or Brandywine.

Chad

Membedeep

Quote from: cbar45 on March 08, 2016, 10:32:24 AM

Membedeep-
Your last photo of the 498 Pro appears to show a bronze bushing/drag plate mounted in a graphite spool. Fishing this setup, do you notice any improvement in the drag, (smoothness, start-up, etc), compared to that of the standard 498?

The standard 498 has the spool without any bushings, is just metal. Also, the main shaft has the spool support made out of plastic in the standard model, which is of a low quality. Metal on plastic... is good, but not fantastic  :D I haven't fished both reels that much, so I wouldn't know for sure, but I would always choose the bronze on bronze model.

KeithC

I have an unused 1988 Mitchell 498 Pro PUM that there is understandably now creating interest in some quarters. It comes complete with original box, bag, manual & warranty card etc. How would I go about finding a fair price for it?

Any advice gladly appreciated.

It has never been used although it has been spooled with mono.

[/img]

Midway Tommy

All Mitchell 498s were made as PUM. The 488 is the same reel with a full bail.

Comp it on eBay's "Completed Auctions", but you'll have to check back every now and then to find "solds" to compare. "Sold's" prices are in green. There hasn't been many recent sales because they are kind of rare and those that are currently listed have ridiculously high BIN prices.

IMHO, I would guess it @ around $250-300, but who knows on any given day if more than one or two people go after it.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

KeithC

Thanks Tommy.

There seems to be contradictory information floating around i. e. that only specifically the ones with the wooden handles and "engravable" plate were NUM. Your understanding on this?

Midway Tommy

NUM, or did you mean PUM? If you meant PUM the Garcia Mitchell 498 (dark blue) was introduced in 1968/9. The "Pro" line was by Mitchell Sports. Browning purchased Mitchell (mainly from Garcia) in 1980. Mitchell Sports USA purchased Mitchell from Browning in 1984. Mitchell was then sold to Johnson Worldwide in 1991, who sold it to Pure Fishing in 2000 and Pure Fishing to Jarden Corp., i.e. Coleman Camping products, in 2007.

I'm not sure what contradictory information you are talking about? Every Mitchell 498, regardless of the parent company or manufacture time frame came with a manual line pickup (sometimes referred to as MP &/or PUM). The 498, in varying models, was in continuous production from 1969 until the Mitchell Sports inventory was sold out around 1990. A couple of later models, ProX, Anniversary & Millennium were marketed in the late '90s & 2000.  

http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/index.php/Content/mitchell-reel-models-made-1939-1989.html
http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/index.php/category/506
http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/index.php/category/450
http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/index.php/category/420
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

KeithC

Apologies Tommy, was intended to be PUM.

I bought it in 1988 in Europe. It is black with "France" and a 'serial number' of "T .09.03" on the foot. I assume it is one from the category 450 you refer to in the links.

Classic Mako

Well I finally found a 498 PRO on ebay yesterday, it is in shipment now to me.    I have been wanting one for years, I have found several 498's for sale over the years but no PRO 498's.

I will be using it for shore fishing for Pacific Halibut up here in the NW corner of Washington State, on the Olympic Peninsula on the Straits of Juan de Fuca.   I have caught many Halibut from the boat but want the experience of hooking one from the shoreline.  The 498 PRO is built heavy duty:  I like the bronze gears and especially the handle lock for casting.

I have a Rainshadow 1569  13 foot surf rod blank that I will wrap for this reel.   "Hatteras Heaver" style rod, rated for 8 to 16 ounces weight & bait, a real beast.  The reason for the big surf rod is I have located, while boat fishing, an area that is reachable with a long cast from shore.   I have caught Halibut on this area from the boat in the past.

I have a Penn 990 on a similar rod, it will also get a work out  when I am fishing from shore.

When the 498 PRO arrives I will take a few photos and post.

foakes

Thanks, Mako —

Look forward to your reports on this rare HD Spinner.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.