SHIMANO TRANX 500HG

Started by Cor, March 02, 2016, 08:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cor

I am retired and fish a lot (LOL), repair and service reels for friends and build rods, all as part of my hobby.

I've fairly recently acquired 3 Shimano Tranx reels of which the oldest is now 1 & ½ years old and already the worm gear assembly is giving trouble.

A level winders is not a concept that I have much experience with, nor bait casters for that matter.

As you can see from the photo, the reel suddenly started to bunch the line on the left side of the spool, and is caused by the level winder not immediately returning to the opposite side.  (it seems to miss a beat)

My first guess is that the Line Guide Pawl (PART NO BNT4460) is worn and I made a 0.2mm shim to fit over the small round washer to see if that will solve the problem. I've not yet had an opportunity to test it.
There is no other visible issue, though the worm gear itself shows some wear.    I serviced it 3 days ago,  after taking pictures, but it made no difference to the problem.
•   Anyone got any suggestions as to what can cause this?

Second part of the problem is that there are no spares available for this reel, I am in South Africa.   Nor do I see any on Ebay, so I may end up having to get my local tool maker to make some or try to get it via someone in the USA.
I find it hard to accept that I can buy a USD500-00 reel and not get any support or spares for it.
•   Perhaps this part is the same as on some other similar reel, with which I could substitute it?

Any advice or information will be greatly appreciated.
Cornelis

nelz

That's Shimano for ya.  >:(

Anyway, if it becomes that parts is just not an option, you could always remove the level wind all together and use it like that. That's what I ended up doing with my Bantam 400.

MarkT

It's a current production reel so I don't know why parts are hard to come by.  Maybe an issue with Shimano in SA?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

oc1

Adding a spacer shim is always the first thing to try.  The tips of the pawl look like they are rounded off and may need to be replaced if the shim doesn't work.  If you can see visible wear on the worm then it might eat up a new pawl so replace both if you can.  There are probably other makes and models that share the same pawl and worm.  A good photo with the tailplate removed and another with the worm lying on a ruler may allow someone to help.

That thing has some seriously large line for a baitcasting reel.  This could be a clue that it was used to throw very heavy weights and/or horse in very large fish that led to an early demise.  The drag and bellevilles might need some work too.  Best of luck with it.
-steve

johndtuttle

Some thoughts:

If the pawl is worn it should have similar trouble elsewhere...unless it is also a problem with the worm itself (worn out) and that will have to be replaced. Don't think your average machinist can tackle that one. I believe they are cast.

Have you looked at the idle gears to be sure they are not damaged in any way?

Tranx is a fine reel, but all of that casting convenient comes at a price (maintenance).

Cor

Quote from: MarkT on March 02, 2016, 08:37:16 PM
It's a current production reel so I don't know why parts are hard to come by.  Maybe an issue with Shimano in SA?

I suspect it is.    This type of reel is not popular here and also too expensive for the market, so they should probably never have imported them. ???

@johndtuttle
There is absolutely no other damage anywhere else other then that I removed the automatic clutch engagement.   It has already caught about 80 Yellowtail and done a huge amount of casting about 2 1/2 to 3 oz.

@ oc1
I will make the photo sometime, first go try to see if shim helps situation.   I don't like dismantling this reel, too many tiny parts :-[   The wear on the worm is mostly on the outside, but if were dealing with very small tolerances then maybe in the groves as well, I cant tell.

@nelz
I don't think that will work.   It will be very difficult to lay the line properly on the spool every time and you would have to convert to mono.   I often cast as much as 500 times per day, fast far and accurately.
Cornelis

Zimbass

Hi Cor. Welcome to AT. Sure you will learn a lot from this forum, just like I have done.

The agents in South Africa are excellent people, and will help if needed. If they do not have the spares you want in stock, they will bring them in from Japan.

If you want their details, PM me and I'll give them to you.

Cheers.

Terry.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

Cor

Thanks all for comment to date.

I've learnt the following this far:-
* For the level winding gear to show wear after the amount of use I've put on the reel in 1 & 1/2 years seems to be reasonable?
* Placing a shim behind the Line Guide Pawl has helped and I can now use the reel again, probably very temporary, will see.
* I am not sure if I need to only replace the Line Guide Pawl or the worm gear as well.

What is sure is that I have to source the parts somewhere.    I'll probably buy them online in the US after speaking to the local agent again.
Cornelis

SantaBarbarian

Your my hero Cor! I love seeing a reel that has earned it's keep which this one certainly has! I think Shimano should put you on their South African Pro Staff. Seriously, I have wanted one of these reels for some time and very much appreciate what you have shared. It doesn't seem to me a flaw in the reel given the amount of use and fish caught on it. Most of us can only dream of wearing such a beast of a level wind reel out on soo many fish with shoulders. Thanks!!

Lunker Larry

Check the ends of the worm gear to see if the tips are bent or have been scored. If the pawl loosened up or is worn it may have not synced properly and damaged the gear. Having dirt or line fibres from braid packed at the end of the worm gear shield can prevent a proper meshing of the pawl and damage both the pawl and worm gear.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Cor

Just some feedback.
I have had to shelve this reel for the moment, but managed to source the Pawl and worm gear in the UK and hope to receive it here in about 3 weeks time.

I will then see If I need to replace both parts or if only the pawl will do the trick.

I have a daughter in London who will send it with a friend.
Cornelis