(Old) Rod Classification

Started by sundancer, March 05, 2016, 07:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundancer

Gents

After doing a quick search and not finding any results I thought I would ask........

There has been plenty of discussion on Reel Drag numbers.  I have a few unlabeled old Rods of various lengths and diameters. 

Is there a method, however rough, to 'classify' them so I can mate them to the appropriate Reel?

For example, from today's fishing flea market, I came home with an ~4.5' Boat Rod of relatively small diameter and an ~5.5' Boat Rod which is considerably thicker than the 4 footer. 

The 4 footer is noticeably more resistant than its big brother.

The measurements were done by simply putting a snelled hook to the top eye and a fish/drag scale and pulling until I was uncomfortable.

I would like to label them like I label the line on the Reels..

Your thoughts...
Thanks
Steve
Miles to go.....,

Ron Jones

Alan has a fantastic post on this.
I would search for it to get the details but basically, you mount a reel and run line through the eyes. Connect the line to various weights and decide how much bend you are comfortable with in the rod for max drag. Once you have the rod's max drag, multiply by 3-4 in order to get the line rating. Then you decide on the reel you want to use that matches the drag and line capacity you desire.

I use this all the time and fine that, for me, manufacturers are usually conservative with their line ratings. I am comfortable with a lot of bend and like fishing with the lightest gear possible. Someone with different tastes would rate a rod completely differently.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

fishhawk

Excellent info! So if my rod will pick-up 20 lbs its a 60-80 wght. class?

sundancer

Ron

Thanks for the info. Can you suggest a search phrase as I couldn't find anything?

Steve
Miles to go.....,

Ron Jones

As I see it, if your rod picks up 20#s AND bends the way you want AND bends with that weight safely, then it can fish 60-80 pound line.
I think the search will be ROD and you have a lot of work ahead of you. It has been reposted on dozens of forums, a google search of Alan Tani Rod choice may be more productive.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

sundancer

Thanks Ron

I'll take a look

appreciate the help

Steve
Miles to go.....,

Ron Jones

Haven't heard of HOW before. Anything that helps my shipmates is great, thanks.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

sundancer

Your very welcome Rod and I, personally, appreciate your Service.

There are many Chapters out there. They help in rehab by taking wounded/recovering Solders out Kayak fishing for the day. They are provided all the gear and lunch.

Our Chapter is always looking for Soldiers that would like to go out for the day.

For us, as long as they can balance they can go.

Steve
Miles to go.....,