signup list: 6/0 and 9/0 insert drag kits

Started by Three se7ens, March 13, 2016, 04:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

Sid, I think the original runs were SS but it was to difficult to cut with accuracy so he went to brass because it was easier to hold dimensions. He said the brass he is using is tougher then the SS. You won't be able to tell any difference in actual use.

Three se7ens

Quote from: RowdyW on July 10, 2016, 01:35:44 AM
Sid, I think the original runs were SS but it was to difficult to cut with accuracy so he went to brass because it was easier to hold dimensions. He said the brass he is using is tougher then the SS. You won't be able to tell any difference in actual use.

That is correct.  My first runs were stainless, but I was having issues with holding tolerance on the stainless.  Stainless is very tough, but very soft.  Its difficult to cut, but bends easily.  This run is a half-hard brass which is actually harder and stronger than the stainless used previously.  In addition to slightly better mechanical properties, it also cuts better(less washout at the top edge of the cut).  The factors that prompted the change to brass were primarily based on manufacturing issues, not from problems during use.  From a performance standpoint, you will not see a difference in the two materials.

Sid, I had exactly one of the stainless inserts left from a previous batch.  Looks like you got that one. 

sdlehr

OK, that's a reasonable answer, except I don't understand why you would not have had the same problem on previous runs. I ask a lot of questions. Please forgive me. I learn a lot that way. :)

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Three se7ens

Quote from: sdlehr on July 10, 2016, 03:50:48 AM
OK, that's a reasonable answer, except I don't understand why you would not have had the same problem on previous runs. I ask a lot of questions. Please forgive me. I learn a lot that way. :)

Sid

Its ok, I dont mind answering questions.  My position affords me access to experience that not many people have direct access to.  I try to share what knowledge I can, because I have seen just how little information is available regarding some aspects of manufacturing. 

Its not that I didnt have a problem on previous runs.  The change to brass was because I did have problems on previous runs.  Ive had entire batches of inserts that had to be recut 3 times before they met the quoted tolerance.  This in particular is why it has been so long between this run and my last run of 114H/115 insert kits.  From a manufacturing standpoint, this size has been far and away the most problematic.  Its an oddball thickness, which means the material has to be machined to thickness before I send it to the cutter.  So any problems in the cutting involve significant cost in lost time and material, and I cant make that up in the pricing. 

sdlehr

On closer inspection I can see how the SS insert was produced on a lathe, and that it was first cut or stamped or whatever and then put on the lathe; there is a mark on the outside that is present because it was not centered in the lathe exactly when the full tabs on the outside were reduced on one end to allow it to be used in the gears not slotted all the way down. Thanks for answering my questions.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Three se7ens

The time has come.  I have 8 kits that havent been claimed, so they are available to anyone now.  If we have spoken and Im holding kits for you pending other parts, you are covered.

Gfish

Take one for my 6/0. Thanks. Anyone gotta line on a ss gear sleeve for same? A 114HL to be exact.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Three se7ens

I still have some of the drag kits for the 114h/115 available. Pm me with your email address, and I'll send you a PayPal invoice.

The 114h offset handles won't happen until early January.