NEWELL 300 SERIES SCHEMATIC

Started by garyal, March 15, 2016, 03:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garyal

I found a 30 year old original Newell schematic for 300 series in my old files. I scanned it in at 11 x 17 and I am posting it here for anyone's usage. It is nice to have it all in one page and at a resolution where you can zoom in without pixilation.

Note the pricing!

Just a small effort to repay some of the knowledge I take away from this GREAT SITE!

MarkT

Very nice! I like that it lists the type of screws in case you need another one.  It also says it's made with high quality stainless steel which will still rust!  That is true of any stainless.  Stainless means it stains less, not won't stain at all.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

foakes

Quote from: garyal on March 15, 2016, 03:48:28 PM
I found a 30 year old original Newell schematic for 300 series in my old files. I scanned it in at 11 x 17 and I am posting it here for anyone's usage. It is nice to have it all in one page and at a resolution where you can zoom in without pixilation.

Note the pricing!

Just a small effort to repay some of the knowledge I take away from this GREAT SITE!

Thanks, Gary --

Carl had some very clear schematics, parts lists, and hints.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Newell Nut

Most people forget to read the part about dropping the reel in a bucket of fresh water for a good soak. I never put mine in a bucket of water but I wash the heck out of them after each trip. That is why my first Newell with about 800 fishing trips still runs as good as the day I bought it.

MarkT

It does say that prices are subject to change with out notice!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

foakes

In the day, I would buy Newell reels for my clients.

They had a pretty good pricing system for dealers.

We paid 2/3's of retail -- and so we could make a fair mark-up.

So a $180 reel, would cost me $120.

Parts cost was 1/2 of suggested retail.

My orders were placed by fax to their plant in Gardena.

Ordered products were shipped out a day later.

When the box of reels and parts arrived -- I would just cut a check for the invoiced amount -- and send it off.

Once or twice a year, I would make a point to go down to the plant in person -- always made sure Carl would be there before I made the trip.

We always had a nice converstion as he showed me the latest things he was working on.  Plus he had a good manufacturing facility also that did plastic injection moulding for medical equipment.  Fascinating...

Anyway, Carl had a salesman who went from new prospect to new prospect -- convincing dealers to carry Newells.

He would enter a sporting goods store or tackle shop, ask for the owner or manager -- and when introduced, he would open his briefcase, pull out a Newell -- spin the spool, and just set it down on the counter as he started talking to the owner.  After a minute or two, the reel was still spinning strongly -- and he usually got a good order right there, as well as a good dealer to sell Newell's from that time forward.

These were the old days -- and I heard that story from a couple of guys -- but cannot be sure it is true -- but it sounds like it may be.

Ask Aiala sometime -- about her meeting Carl with her brother -- when they were kids just starting out.  He took a lot of time with a green kid.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

garyal

Yes, I deal with machinery on an International basis. There is Stainless and there is stainless.... It all rusts eventually if you do not take care of it. However, I have seen some Chinese stainless rust out in less than 24 months. Although, I am now seeing world class quality starting to appear in manufacturing machinery originating out of Taiwan. I am not sure if they are sourcing their SS from east or west, but it is probably west because it is performing well.

You can have the greatest CNC machine centers, but if your raw materials are inferior, then...................

I have never found one bit of rust in any of my Newell reels, no salt damage either because I used grease where Carl put the Capital G on his schematic!  ;) I think they are 30 years old or there about.

thinkwahoo

Just a note, their molding and fishing manufacturing was in Glendale (940 Allen Ave) not in Gardena.

Another bit of info, Carl always asked for certification on stainless steel purchases, and for the most part had very little failure.  The bad times came with the introduction of the C series.  He was sold certified material for the gear production, and it proved to be bootlegged ss from God knows where, but the damage was done the first time these reels saw saltwater.  The did a recall with the distributors and tackle stores, and if a reel was sent in the gears, and even the spool was changed out at no charge.