Torque 40

Started by Yogi_fish808, March 24, 2016, 12:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yogi_fish808

Found a really good deal on a TRQ40 Star drag the other day for $200. Was a little bit skeptical about why it was so cheap but after going thru it and giving it the usual service everything's good to go. It's got a few exterior flaws but nothing major. Penn did an amazing job with every part in this reel, it really is the ultimate evolution of their early reels like the jigmaster, you can still see the DNA of the oldschool conventionals. I remember drooling over this reel when it came out when I was a broke student, still pinching myself that I own one now. Time to sell the Fathom 40s since their gonna collect dust after this ;D Hopefully I get to put it to the test with some GT's this season.

Shakas and Aloha,
Kyle

johndtuttle

That's one of the Black ones that they discontinued because everyone bought the gold.

World's best Star Drag reel, imo.

;)

Marcq

Nice find  8)  I like the black version better, looks mean

Marc..

MarkT

I likey! I like black better than gold any day.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Yogi_fish808

I've really enjoyed using this reel since buying it but the plastic handle that it shares with all the other new gen. penn conventionals needed to be upgraded with something better. Searched high and low seeing what was out there and found a very good deal on a matching ball handle. Nice quality and has 2 bearings inside to make it spin nice and smooth. Couldn't locate my dremel kit so I went at it like a caveman with a bench grinder, hack saw, vice, punch and hammer...taped it up to protect what i could and it came out fine.  I believe these were about $20 shipped and come in a few colors that will match most reels if you guys wanna give them a try, here's the ebay seller:http://www.ebay.com/usr/jimmy82daiwa?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

Before:

After:

Aloha,
Kyle

After: