Help with dating an Edward vom Hofe 621 reel

Started by BryanC, March 25, 2016, 03:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BryanC

I recently acquired 2 EVH 621 reels on eBay.  One 6/0 and one 4/0.  the 4/0 is particularly interesting to me because it is engraved with "R.R.M. Carpenter".  These initials/last name match those of a senior executive from Du Pont, who purchased the Philadelphia Phillies in 1943.  The team was owned and managed by his son RRM Carpenter II from 1943-1972, and then by his gransdon, RRM Carpenter III from 1972-81.  From the small bit of internet searching I've done, the original RRM Carpenter is primarily known for his ties to Du Pont, whereas RRM Carpenter II and III are mainly known for their ties to the Phillies.  I believe RRM Carpenter III is still alive.

The eBay ad for the reel indicated a serial number of H760.  Based on my understanding of EVH reel numbering, this would make it a 1941 reel (or perhaps a 1915 reel, if the model 621 was even made at that time???).  However, when looking at the eBay ad, I didn't think it could be a 1941 reel, because the drag star dates it as a pre-1929 model.

I received the reel in the mail today, and looking at it closely, it appears to be stamped TT760, rather than H760.  Does this make any sense?  Could it be a T760 that somehow got an extra 'T' stamped on it?  I believe that would make it a 1927 model.

Here are a couple pics:

Bryan Young

Very nice reels. I cannot help you regarding the year though

That is the 5th EVH reel I have seen with Mr. Carpenter's name. I wonder how his collection got split up or is it the same reel?

Nice buy.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

IMHO, the 4/0 is a 1928.  'U', since it does not have the pilot wheel lock (perforated drag), which appeared in 1929 (some other models in 1927). It is also missing the tailplate sliding click dissappeared ca. 1922 on the 621.

The other features:
-Maker's Mark, ca. 1902-1941
-Spring-bail oiler, post 1918
-Pilot Wheel Star Drag, post 1912
-Sliding gear transmission, post 1870
-Adjustable Pivot Cap(Compensating adjustment), post early 1890s
-Smooth edge throw off, post 1910

are consistent with this timeframe.

BTW the 621 was arguably the most popular reel made by Vom Hofe.

This reel would have been manufactured at the Fulton Street address, and utilized the1902 patent (visable in makers mark) for the drag system.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

The 6/0 is post 1929, if you provide the serial number, I can give you the year.
Hope springs eternal

Superhook

Bryan,

The oil hole in the handle nut started in 1918 and the first "H" stamping was in 1915 so i think you can forget that date. the early models also had a sliding clicker on the Tail plate.

The H stamping is heavy at the top and fades as it reaches half way down.  Very unlikely that two letter T's could be aligned perfectly and stamped with the same weight twice by hand.

My opinion is a 1941 model even though the multi drilled star wheel came in 1927 .

Ray

BryanC

Good stuff guys!  Really good info!

Tightlines666 - The 6/0 is s/n E319, which makes it a 1938 reel.  Your idea about it being a "U" could be right, but now I think Superhook (and the eBay seller) are likely correct.  Looking at the photos, it appears that there is a faint horizontal line between the two small "T"'s.  I cannot see this with my eyes when looking directly at the reel, but in the photos, it looks like the crossbar of an "H".

On the other hand, the perforated/locking drag started in 1929, and this reel does not have that feature.  Was it optional?  If so then some post-1929 reels would not have it.  Alternately, it could be that my reel is not all from the same year (I hope that isn't the case).

Tightlines667

That faint horizontal line would be consistent wirh a 'U' as well.  For what it's worth, my 1938 621 6/0 has the perforated drag.
Hope springs eternal

BryanC

Quote from: Tightlines666 on March 25, 2016, 04:48:15 AM
That faint horizontal line would be consistent wirh a 'U' as well.  For what it's worth, my 1938 621 6/0 has the perforated drag.

That is interesting about the 'U', if the the bottom is straight rather than curved.  It would explain the non-perforated drag star.

It appears that both our 6/0's are 1938 models.  Mine also has the perforated drag, as can be seen in the photo.

Tightlines667

My reel has the incorrect handle, and knob on it though.  It's an earlier 9/0 S arm (w/o, the spring) and a homemade wood knob.

BTW, I am in the market for the correct, ca. 1938 EVH 621 handle, and arm.
Hope springs eternal

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 25, 2016, 03:42:40 AM
Very nice reels. I cannot help you regarding the year though

That is the 5th EVH reel I have seen with Mr. Carpenter's name. I wonder how his collection got split up or is it the same reel?

Nice buy.

Check this out Bryan:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._R._M._Carpenter,_Jr.

sdlehr

My new interest in EVH reels brought me here.... The article Randy cited above states this, "In 1940, Carpenter joined the board of trustees of the University of Delaware, and was a major catalyst for the development of its athletic program, personally funding the construction of a new gymnasium."

Well, my wife and I went to the U of Delaware, and I took a SCUBA diving class at Carpenter Gym in 1975.

Thanks for posting, Randy!

Sid
A year late and a dollar short
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector