The period between reel service ?

Started by Eason mun, March 26, 2016, 09:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eason mun

Hi folks, i am new to this forum and i read a lot of posts in this forum before i join. I just want to ask how long do you guys perform a reel maintenance again for your saltwater reel after the first maintenance . I mean how long do you guys usually fish with your reel in saltwater before you guys service it ? Thank you very much. ;D

Tightlines667

I recommend servicing your reels once a year before your season starts, as a general rule of thumb.  If you fish your gear alot (say more then 60 days/year) it may need servicing every 6 months.  Conversely, if you only use it a few times and you take care of it, it may not actually require a service for 2 or 3 years.  If it's sitting on a shelf, it will still fish 5 years after servicing, or so.  Of course if you notice any issues (loss of freespool, surgy drag, grinding/bumping, roughness when reeling under pressure, or any noticable loss of function) it should be serviced.  Since pinion bearings are one of the first parts to go (on lever drag reels), I can hop on a boat and check all of the reels in the cockpit quickly, and know immediately  which should get serviced.  Try cranking in high , and flip into free to check freespool, and spool clearance, then add a little drag and crank (while holding the spool) in high then low (checks pinion, gear wear, and shifting function), then ramp drag up past strike and pull off line, flip the clicker on (at full setting), and crank to check function.  These few steps only take a moment, and can tell you alot about the wear and internal condition of the reel. 

You really can't know exactly what us going on until you crack her open though.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Wolli

I recommend servicing your reels once a year before your season starts, as a general rule of thumb

Hi Jon,

that I would not recommend. Reels should/must be serviced just when the season or vacation has finished.
During the long storage time remaining saltwater can/will cause lot of damage. Especially when the
reels are stored in a plastic bag or neoprene cover and remaining water can not evaporate.
That what I do and recommend to my fishing friends and never had any troubles with my spinners and big game reels when the new season starts.

Wolli
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

Tightlines667

Rodger that.. after the season is better, just is more often.  Some reels are easy enough to service, where a simple service can be done after ever trip.  Most of my current customers fish all year round, and a reminder to bring them in before the peak season starts tends to help get them on regular schedules.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Wolli on March 26, 2016, 11:02:45 AM
I recommend servicing your reels once a year before your season starts, as a general rule of thumb

Hi Jon,

that I would not recommend. Reels should/must be serviced just when the season or vacation has finished.
During the long storage time remaining saltwater can/will cause lot of damage. Especially when the
reels are stored in a plastic bag or neoprene cover and remaining water can not evaporate.
That what I do and recommend to my fishing friends and never had any troubles with my spinners and big game reels when the new season starts.

Wolli

Neoprene  covers should be ok, they don't fully seal the reel,  but I would never  store  reels in plastic bags.
As you John, I also freshen them up in the beginning of the season, even though they've been serviced at the end of the season.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

I tear down my reels "because" and often service a few of mine after every exposure to saltwater.  Sometimes I strip a reel down just to have something to do. 
Reel service should never be a "chore".
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Welcome Eason,
I treat my reels like a new car. Every time I get them dirty, I clean them inside and out. ;)
I have too much money and time invested to neglect them.
Life is Good!

foakes

Welcome aboard, Eason --

For me, the most important thing is to inspect for any salt water intrusion after every trip -- flush out as needed, reapply grease to critical areas, oil, adjust for proper operation, spray exterior wth WD-40, wipe down carefully and completely, bag and tag it with a date and items addressed.

If you look at what the experts here recommend in regards to greased CF drags, synthetic oils and greases, etc. -- you will have a minimum of issues -- and your equipment will be salt ready for your next trip.

I store my reels in breathable, soft polartec cloth drawstring bags.  When needed, they are clean, ready, not nicked up from fighting with other gear -- and easily transported with no damage or contamination.  Any soft, breathable cloth bags will work fine.

Basic and effective.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

Allot my reels have been pre-serviced before use. I fish my reels maybe 5 times a year. All rinsed with warm water and air dry and stored away from heat.

I have't had any corrosion issues for 5 years between service.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

steelhead_killer

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 26, 2016, 03:43:28 PM
Welcome Eason,
I treat my reels like a new car. Every time I get them dirty, I clean them inside and out. ;)
I have too much money and time invested to neglect them.

Agreed
><)))">

conchydong

We fish year round, so I generally service my reels when something doesn't feel right or a repair is needed. If I don't have a problem with them than I do it when it's time to change out my monofilament line, which is at least once a year. Reels spooled with braid generally are used for heavy bottom fishing and jigging and usually need some sort of tweaking  before the year is up. Other specialty reels that are seldom used may not get serviced for years.

johndtuttle

Well, needless to say as often as we service our own reels or at least crack them open for an inspection we all have come to appreciate designs that make that possible with nice robust fittings that can be screwed and un-screwed many, many times without issue.

Some reel companies are going to a model of basically never expecting the reel to ever be opened by the user...And it is our duty to dissuade them of such ridiculous notions of expecting to let them go until they fail.

Every reel needs a one time pre-service/inspection to be sure that it is good to go. Every reel needs an end of season service to be sure salt doesn't get it's chance to do it's worst in the next 6 mos.

After that it is one's own comfort level as to how often...if you just came back from offshore and it got a lot of spray...I am likely to open up any of them to be sure all is well.

best

oc1

I always fish with it once or twice before the "pre-service" to feel the reel the way the factory intended.  Then, if I screw something up I'll know there was not a design flaw or factory defect.  After that, I crack them open when they get wet inside.
-steve

johndtuttle

Quote from: oc1 on March 26, 2016, 08:09:52 PM
I always fish with it once or twice before the "pre-service" to feel the reel the way the factory intended.  Then, if I screw something up I'll know there was not a design flaw or factory defect.  After that, I crack them open when they get wet inside.
-steve

Totally reasonable way to do it.

In actuality it does depend on what the expected first uses are going to be. A reel to be taken out on a nice day should certainly be fine straight out of the factory.

Traveling or going Long Range for 5 days I would pre-service it before leaving.

Wolli

from my experience any reel used in saltwater should be serviced just after purchase.
The gear etc. are greased/oiled so bad that you imagine the grease is more expensive than the reel,,,,
Yesterday received a Stella SW20000 for service... Really no grease on the gear, nearly all bearing dead,
the metal drag washers completely corroded (its no dirt).......
Its a shame what the manufacturers offer (Daiwa is not better) for lot of money....
Meanwhile i have more brand new reels for first service than used.

love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)