The period between reel service ?

Started by Eason mun, March 26, 2016, 09:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eason mun

Thanks for the welcoming and those valuable comments  ;D. Now i knew what to do with my baitcasting reel. I do not use level drag reel or big star drag reel. Just small size baitcaster for inshore or estuaries. The biggest reel of mine is the daiwa luna 300...But the castability is not so good due to the synchronize level wind and they cannot be upgraded ...

handi2

Quote from: Wolli on March 27, 2016, 12:45:23 AM
from my experience any reel used in saltwater should be serviced just after purchase.
The gear etc. are greased/oiled so bad that you imagine the grease is more expensive than the reel,,,,
Yesterday received a Stella SW20000 for service... Really no grease on the gear, nearly all bearing dead,
the metal drag washers completely corroded (its no dirt).......
Its a shame what the manufacturers offer (Daiwa is not better) for lot of money....
Meanwhile i have more brand new reels for first service than used.

I just finished a Stella SW10000 with the same corroded drag system. It took 2 hours just to service the spool. Dawn has the replacement top drag washers.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

steelfish

Quote from: Keta on March 26, 2016, 01:00:32 PM
I tear down my reels "because" and often service a few of mine after every exposure to saltwater.  Sometimes I strip a reel down just to have something to do. 

..thats me.

also when I get a new fancy tool, new grease or new oil, I service my own reels even if they have already serviced few months ago just to use the new tool or new lubricant.
that happened when I just got tsi321, eventho corrosion X is really good, I opened up all my reels to clean the bearings and put tsi321 oil.
samething when using general marine grease on them, if there were nothing good on the TV at night I took one of my reels to take the grease out and put yamaha grease in (which it was kind of difficult to find).
Delrin washer under the main gear also made me open my 113h too, thanks Sal.

but for friends I recommend once a year
The Baja Guy

Marcq

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 26, 2016, 03:43:28 PM
Welcome Eason,
I treat my reels like a new car. Every time I get them dirty, I clean them inside and out. ;)
I have too much money and time invested to neglect them.

X2

Marc..

MarcosG

Im glad I found this thread. I was keeping my spinning reels individually inside of plastic bags with the bail facing up, even thought most of them never been used. I have purchased those yellow microfibers cloth (the ones I found at Costco). Those should be more suitable right?

I thought by keeping the reels inside of the plastic bag it would help to preserve the lubrication to stay longer.

foakes

Quote from: MarcosG on September 08, 2016, 12:07:45 PM
Im glad I found this thread. I was keeping my spinning reels individually inside of plastic bags with the bail facing up, even thought most of them never been used. I have purchased those yellow microfibers cloth (the ones I found at Costco). Those should be more suitable right?

I thought by keeping the reels inside of the plastic bag it would help to preserve the lubrication to stay longer.

Good move, Marcos --

Any type of Cloth, breathable bags, will prolong the life of your reels long past your lifetime -- both from the standpoint of condensation causing rust, and just getting knocked around in storage or transport.

Cheapest insurance available.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

MarcosG

Thanks Fred,
I tend to use ziplocs for a bunch stuff I have, maybe it is time for me to quit.

conchydong

Quote from: foakes on September 08, 2016, 02:37:48 PM
Quote from: MarcosG on September 08, 2016, 12:07:45 PM

Good move, Marcos --

Any type of Cloth, breathable bags, will prolong the life of your reels long past your lifetime -- both from the standpoint of condensation causing rust, and just getting knocked around in storage or transport.

Cheapest insurance available.

Best,

Fred

I tell my wife that I need to buy some Crown Royal just to get the cloth sacks for my reels.

MarcosG

Dang, I think my post didn't come out right.  :o
Sorry Folks

Dominick

Quote from: conchydong on September 08, 2016, 04:58:19 PM

I tell my wife that I need to buy some Crown Royal just to get the cloth sacks for my reels.

Conchy, tell your wife that you are buying cloth bags to put your reels in and as a sales promotion the store is giving out a free bottle of whiskey.  :D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Rancanfish

Quote from: Dominick on September 08, 2016, 06:31:25 PM

Conchy, tell your wife that you are buying cloth bags to put your reels in and as a sales promotion the store is giving out a free bottle of whiskey.  :D ;D Dominick

Smartest man I know right here folks.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

steelfish

Quote from: Dominick on September 08, 2016, 06:31:25 PM

dont forget to add at the end, that they are on a 2x1 promotion.... it always work the same way their shoes are 75% discount every single time  ::)
The Baja Guy

mley1

I generally try to service the reels I use once or twice a year, depending on use. I fish almost exclusively salt water. After every trip I rinse the rods, and reels off with fresh water. Then I dry everything with a soft towel. After drying I take a nice oily rag and wipe everything metal down. I've not had trouble with corrosion at all. If I accidentally dunk a reel, or drop one in the sand at the beach, it gets a complete tear down and I service it as soon As I get it to the house.

Sand is the bane of fishing reels. If sand gets into your reel it won't be long and you'll be having trouble. The worst I ever had was an Abu Revo Inshore, supposedly a reel made for salt water fishing. It worked great until one day my son let it hit the sand, wet sticky sand. He picked it up, and saw sand all over it. Rather than rinse it with a bottle of fresh water, he took it to the edge of the sand and rinsed it in salt water. In about 3 casts that sucker just about locked up. When I got it home it was full of sand. Took a lot of cleaning and service to get it back to normal. I've dropped other reels onto sand, or dunked them in salt water, but never had one get bad as the Revo did. My round Swedish made Abu's will rock on until you get home, unless sand gets into the worm gear for the level wind. I had anything stop my old Penn spinners. Loaded with grease they just rock on and catch fish. They still get a service after a dunk though.

I sold all my Revo's, and don't use any low profile reels in the salt anymore. I didn't really like how quickly the sand took them out of commission, or that I couldn't get them back into commission onsite.  I just use my round Swedish made Abu's, and my Penn spinners when I fish in the sand most of the time. I've got some new Daiwa BG SW's, a Saltist 50 I intend to use in the surf. So, we'll see how they hold up with similar service and rinsing as my Abu's and Penn's. I suspect they'll be just fine, and will be just as enjoyable to use as my Abu's and Penn's.
Good luck fishing,

Marty

Eason mun

Quote from: mley1 on September 11, 2016, 04:24:19 PM
I generally try to service the reels I use once or twice a year, depending on use. I fish almost exclusively salt water. After every trip I rinse the rods, and reels off with fresh water. Then I dry everything with a soft towel. After drying I take a nice oily rag and wipe everything metal down. I've not had trouble with corrosion at all. If I accidentally dunk a reel, or drop one in the sand at the beach, it gets a complete tear down and I service it as soon As I get it to the house.

Sand is the bane of fishing reels. If sand gets into your reel it won't be long and you'll be having trouble. The worst I ever had was an Abu Revo Inshore, supposedly a reel made for salt water fishing. It worked great until one day my son let it hit the sand, wet sticky sand. He picked it up, and saw sand all over it. Rather than rinse it with a bottle of fresh water, he took it to the edge of the sand and rinsed it in salt water. In about 3 casts that sucker just about locked up. When I got it home it was full of sand. Took a lot of cleaning and service to get it back to normal. I've dropped other reels onto sand, or dunked them in salt water, but never had one get bad as the Revo did. My round Swedish made Abu's will rock on until you get home, unless sand gets into the worm gear for the level wind. I had anything stop my old Penn spinners. Loaded with grease they just rock on and catch fish. They still get a service after a dunk though.

I sold all my Revo's, and don't use any low profile reels in the salt anymore. I didn't really like how quickly the sand took them out of commission, or that I couldn't get them back into commission onsite.  I just use my round Swedish made Abu's, and my Penn spinners when I fish in the sand most of the time. I've got some new Daiwa BG SW's, a Saltist 50 I intend to use in the surf. So, we'll see how they hold up with similar service and rinsing as my Abu's and Penn's. I suspect they'll be just fine, and will be just as enjoyable to use as my Abu's and Penn's.

Thanks for the comment buddy... nice to talk to you.

smnaguwa

Talked my wife into making reel bags from the legs of old pants. She even made some with drawstrings. Could probably use hot glue instead of sewing.