The period between reel service ?

Started by Eason mun, March 26, 2016, 09:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Quote from: smnaguwa on September 15, 2016, 02:06:11 PM
Talked my wife into making reel bags from the legs of old pants. She even made some with drawstrings. Could probably use hot glue instead of sewing.

hotglue will not withstand the weight of reels, you might have one drop from you while handle it and get an ugly scratch.

The Baja Guy

Donnyboat

I have a habit when i get home from fishing, to screw the drag on, then wash the real out, dry the reel as much as possible, take the pressure of the drag, balance the rod and reel on a table with the reel pointing down to drain any water out of the drag, if you place the rod and reel in the rod holder, your going to get salt spray on your gear, one way or the other, and as already covered in this tread, beach fishing with sand swirling around, is our worst enemy, we all think we will be using the gear again soon, but time gets away from us, we have to be mindful of when we last use our gear, although i dont have any modern or expencive reels its nice to be able to rely on them, when you need them at short notice, ay, cheers donnyboat.
Don, or donnyboat

steelfish

Quote from: Donnyboat on November 23, 2016, 04:49:25 PM
............although i dont have any modern or expencive reels its nice to be able to rely on them, when you need them at short notice, ay, cheers donnyboat.

midrange or economic (cheap) reels are the ones that get more benefits of good after-fishing care as you described, I have some shakespeare spinning reels from wallyworld since 9-10 years ago and still going strong as my 1st option as loaner reel to a rockie, easy to use, I dont matter if it get scratched and WORKS as expected, but everytime after fishing I clean it externaly really good and add a drop of oil on bearings, and every year I open it up to clean it internally and put new grease and oil.
a cheap reel with no maintenance at all will not last a year of use
The Baja Guy

Cor

I fish a lot and my reels work very hard as I am constantly casting and retrieving a lure.

I tend to do a light service, clean in and out, grease gears and oil where needed, and check for anything that's not working properly once every 1 to 2 weeks.    Then a complete service probably once every 2 months, but more often when I detect something that is problematic.   

In this way my reels generally remain healthy and eventually die from old age when the parts required to keep them working, are too numerous and it is economically more sensible to buy a new one.

I have recently started to use level winders...........  nice to fish with, but they require much more frequent service.   I clean and oil the worm gear every second trip and remove and thoroughly clean it every month.    I am getting a bit irritated with all the servicinging!   LOL

Cornelis

oc1

I'm not very good at taking care of stuff and think one of the most important characteristics of a reel is how quick and easy it is to service.  Preferably, the casting bearings can be cleaned and the gears lubricated without ever touching a screwdriver.
-steve

Cor

Quote from: oc1 on November 24, 2016, 08:04:07 PM
I'm not very good at taking care of stuff and think one of the most important characteristics of a reel is how quick and easy it is to service.  Preferably, the casting bearings can be cleaned and the gears lubricated without ever touching a screwdriver.
-steve
That is one of the reasons I loved the old Diawa SL50SH, low maintenace workhorses that ocassionally required new bearings and gears and sometimes a spring.  A quick clean and service 20 minutes, full service probably less then an hour.
Cornelis