Andros A drag numbers

Started by Jbare0001, March 30, 2016, 05:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbare0001

I noticed something weird and kinda disturbing to me when setting up the drag on my 16. I set my drag up for strike and then move the lever to full and I only get a 2-3 lb increase.... Has anyone else noticed this with any of the new A series?

sundaytrucka

It should not be incrementing at those numbers, should be a higher rate of drag set to full.

My first thought is that something is misaligned within the drag lever assembly...Set the lever to freespool and remove the drag knob (part #600), here I would make sure the drag lever, drag cam (#602), and bushing (#620) are all seated properly within their keyed positions, and flush.

With the lever at freespool, try setting the drag knob (#600) into position and periodically check the drag at the spool to see how much drag is built, then re-check the strike to full range.

If the issue continues after the previous analysis, I believe it is an internal issue and recommend sending it into Okuma for a warranty covered service (parts and labor included), you juse pay shpiping cost (s).

Let me know how it turns out.

-Scott

I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Jbare0001

I took the drag cam off and looked, everything was seated like it should. Proceded to check the drag at strike and at full. At 10lb of drag at strike it went to 12.5 at full. Once I got to 20 lb of drag at strike it jumped up to 24lb at full, still not where it should be. I wonder if they put the wrong drag cam in the reel?

sundaytrucka

That is a possibility, but this symptom is generally due to belleville washers being out of proper order, on either side of the spool shaft assembly. Have you used the reel prior, or is it still new?

Let me know if you are going to send it in to Okuma.

-Scott
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Jbare0001

The reel is new, I opened it up to look at the clicker but didn't take the spool or anything off. Normally by now I would have taken it apart but seeing some of the posts about it being so hard to get the belleville washers back on the spool shaft I haven't messed with it. I filled out a warantee card with Okuma and am going to send it to them and see what they say.

Rivverrat

Quote from: Jbare0001 on March 30, 2016, 05:36:11 AM
I noticed something weird and kinda disturbing to me when setting up the drag on my 16. I set my drag up for strike and then move the lever to full and I only get a 2-3 lb increase.... Has anyone else noticed this with any of the new A series?

If I'm understanding correctly, this is a completely normal thing on the new A Series Andros. On my Andros 12 with strike at 15 - 24 lbs. there is only a 2 - 3 lb. increase at full. I called Okuma they stated it was normal. I dont like this at all. It's why I have made the second lug screw my strike position. I now go from that position set at 15 lbs. to 22 lbs. at the strike button. With drag measured at the reel. These drag numbers increase by 2 lbs. when measured through my rod.

Possibly with Okuma's warranty being what it is & all the new people, my self included, using lever drags, Okuma's thinking could be this might save them from replacing bearings. From people over fishing the drags on these reels.... Jeff

Jbare0001

I sent my reel off to Okuma, they replaced parts 600 and 605 and my drag is now within specs according to them. I havent put it on my drag scale yet but I can tell a difference, much bigger range between strike and full now. I also had them replace the clicker spring as it was too quiet.

JGB

The new Andros A series reels now use a profiled 3 step ramp CAM. The CAM is ground such that the initial ramp is fairly steep to allow the DFD drag system to compress the 'coil' 'small drag' spring quickly and engage the DFD drag system ( this is the dual disk drag similar to the Makaira drag). The second ramp ( used all thw way to the strike position) is less steep to give you some usable drag range control. The third ramp is from strike to full and is verry shallow ( almost flat) but will allow full drag only if the strike drag is set to the maximum spec. This is done to help protect the left spool bearing from excessive drag pressure from damaging it.

FYI the 'small drag' is a small CF drag disk that is between the spool and the back side of the DFD drag assembly. It is used to  supply low drag (just above freespool) and to allow the spool to directly apply pressure to the back side of the DFD drag. this replaces the Makaira thrust bearing function.

Important !!! Be very careful to NEVER allow the drag to bet set above the Max drag rating!! Doing so will almost always cause left side spool bearing rumble and that bearing is a pain to replace.

Hope this helps explain things,
Jim N.

Rivverrat

JGB, does'nt the small drag washer come into play when adjusting the cast control ?  Which I've never used until recently having found a situation where I love it.... Jeff

JGB

Yes the cast control only engages the small drag washer and allows for smooth controllable cast control.
This is one of the 'hidden' benefits of the small drag washer design.
Jim n.

JGB

Just for fun I have attached the measured drag curves for various strike settings on a early Andros A5II A series reel. The modified curves are  the result of doing some custom grinding on the CAM. It is my understanding that the later Andros reels have updated CAMs ( I did send the early data to Okuma engineering indicating that CAM profiles could be improved on the A series 2 speeds with DFD drags).
The drag stack shows all parts of the drag system while the spool shows the 'small' drag installed on the spool ( this drag always engages before the DFD engages).

Jim N.

Tiddlerbasher

Very interesting Jim - thanks for that.
If I can find a spare cam I might try that mod for the original Andros 5.

Rivverrat

JGB,  your affliction is almost as bad as mine   ;D
In all seriousness thanks for your posting that.