Questions about future reels

Started by NYIsles55, March 31, 2016, 04:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYIsles55

I have some questions about reels that you guys may plan to release in the future.

I'm going to be casting baits out to sharks from the beach and I'm looking at the LG reel as one of my options. My question is are you guys thinking about/working on a 2 speed or low speed reel? If so, any ETA of when they might come out?

Thanks

Hook um

I have seen an older Release 2 speed reel. If I remember correctly, they were made years ago before they brought their production process back to the USA.

I have the SM model, with 24 lbs of drag and 450 yds of 50 lb braid, you should have no problem with this model. It's built like a tank out of the box.

Bob

Jeri

Hi,

Specs suggest the LG will offer 40lb of drag, bottom load with 300m of 50lb braid, then top shot with a 40lb mono, no bigger than 0.50mm, and you will have plenty of capacity for sharks.

There is very little need for a 2 speed with cast baits, as you can't exert huge amounts of pressure with the longer rods. All our guys here, for years have been using single speed star drag reels, without any real problems. The luxury of the lever drag reels is that they can cast a little further with a skilled caster, and the ultimate control and smooth drag of the lever operation. The down side is that they can be a triffle too fast for beginners learning to cast long rods, and we saw a lot in the used market place when folks could master the skill of controlling the very fast spool speeds.

Hope that helps.

Cheers from sunny Africa,

Jeri

NYIsles55

Thanks for the replies guys. I was just asking as I was in a tackle shop the other day and he tried to talk me into getting a 2 speed reel for casting baits for sharks, specifically a Penn Fathom 40 or 60. I assume he was just trying to get a couple extra dollars from someone new to shark fishing.

Anyways, that got my curiosity up so i just wanted to ask some general questions.

jcm_101

We won't be doing any 2 speed reels any time soon. The next reel will be the next size up from the LG. It will be called the OS (offshore Small) its about a 30 sized reel.
Justin Mayer
Truth Reels
(804) 453-3095
Justin@truthreels.com

Cor

Quote from: jcm_101 on April 04, 2016, 11:43:43 PM
We won't be doing any 2 speed reels any time soon. The next reel will be the next size up from the LG. It will be called the OS (offshore Small) its about a 30 sized reel.
Rather an SM with a slightly higher gearing of say 42" per handle turn, then I may buy one! ;D
Cornelis