Welcome, sid!

Started by alantani, April 03, 2016, 05:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Quote from: bluefish69 on April 03, 2016, 05:02:31 PM
All the best with this little project. This could end up being a full time job.

Mike
Mike, if I had to find all the information myself it would be more than a full time job. I've got a lot of help (I hope). Moderating should be a piece of cake.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

conchydong

Congratulations Sid, While I am not into collecting and restoring older Penn reels, I respect those who do as they are one of a kind. I do wish I still had some of them that I owned though the years but you cannot turn the clock back.

I am sure you will do a thorough job with this forum.

Scott

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Congratulations on your new forum Sid!

Randy

swill88

and...congratulations Sid!

Steve

basto

Congratulations Sid.....it will be a piece of cake with all the support I`m sure you will get.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Alto Mare

Sid, I have congratulated you privately, but I haven't posted it here.
Congratulations!!!.... you'll fit right in, or should I say have... :)

Welcome aboard!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sdlehr

Thanks, Sal. I'm doing my best.

Sid
Sid Lehr

cbar45

Thanks for doing this Sid.

Perhaps all the relevant "Penn" posts on the Antiques/Collectibles forum could be transferred here, just to start things off?

Chad

sdlehr

I thought about that, Chad, but I was thinking the new board might be best organized with one thread for each reel model # so that there won't be 20 posts scattered all over about the same model. First I've got to figure out how I can move things around and consult with the more experienced moderators about how this might best be done. If I am able to copy posts to the new board but also leave them in their original location that might work great - but I don't know if that can be done. Stay tuned. I'm going to start setting stuff up probably tomorrow.

Sid
Sid Lehr

akadashoe

Greetings Sid, (and other old Penn aficionado's)

Here's  a little jewel I picked up recently at a garage sale for a pretty sweet price. ($40)
It's a 146 L Squidder that the gal claimed belonged to her grandfather and was never used.
After I cracked it open, I found the pictured drag stack.
I believe I saw these green drag washers installed in a JM many moons ago, (possibly old Smoooth?)  but having CRS at my age, I may be wrong.
I was wondering if anyone could help me i.d. the vintage of this reel, and if it is all original or not.
The only thing that was missing from the box was the tube of Penn lube.

Thanks!

Shoe

foakes

That is a steal, Shoe --

You should be ashamed of yourself...and go pay that lady another $35!

It certainly looks unused.

Among many reel mechanics and folks who knew about reels -- the smoothies were an upgrade from the Penn factory drags of that time -- possibly mid 80s to 90s?

So likely, either her Grandfather, or the shop he purchased it from upgraded the drags in anticipation of using the reel.

Now, we have evolved even further -- thanks to Alan and others -- and discovered that CF drags greased with Cal's are basically a lifetime drag system that is buttery smooth through all pressures.

So if anyone needs any new old smoothies -- I probably have a few hundred.

All this reel needs -- (3) new CFs, Cal's Drag Grease, and a complete disassemble, grease with Penn Blue or Yamaha Marine, oil, and use it.

If you are going to shelf it -- just a set of CFs, very light grease and oil.

Nice find...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sdlehr

Sid Lehr

akadashoe

Thanks Fred!

Yes, I'm a bad boy...... ;D
Actually, she wanted $50, so I told her if she would throw in the new 29M spool, we had a deal!   :D
I have ct's greased with Cal's in all my other Penn reels, so this one will remain stock until someone offers me the farm.  haha

Shoe

Penn Chronology

Interesting concept Sid. I will be watching to see how this grows and joining in.

sdlehr

Thanks, Mike. This is a better, more interesting place with you here.

Sid
Sid Lehr