Welcome, sid!

Started by alantani, April 03, 2016, 05:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

First let us look at the criteria.

To be able to take a random Penn reel from any time period and basically determine its origins.

So maybe, the first consideration would be what was made in what year? Once the year category is established, then a separate thread for each model of that year with the particular considerations of that model for that year.

The end result would be a flow of years, each year category would include threads containing the specifics about the each model made in that year. This is only a suggestion. Since I cannot commit to moderate any of this because of my own commitments, I only suggest. :-\

sdlehr

Quote from: Penn Chronology on April 08, 2016, 05:29:23 PM
So maybe, the first consideration would be what was made in what year? Once the year category is established, then a separate thread for each model of that year with the particular considerations of that model for that year.
So Mike, if I understand your idea, under each reel heading there would be a series of year headings.... I don't thing the software we're using will support that very easily... and is not much of that information already in your book(s)? Maybe I'm misunderstanding; but it's my hope that in a few years there will be enough information under each reel heading for someone to take the data and do with it what I'm thinking you're suggesting.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Penn Chronology

Don't listen to me, I have been thinking out loud. That is a dangerous habit of mine. I see the list you have started. That is fine and when info starts rolling in it should become a great resource.

Long Enuff

Are the Special H Senators going to be included on this board? Or, are they not vintage enough?

Bill

sdlehr

Quote from: Long Enuff on April 09, 2016, 06:36:55 PM
Are the Special H Senators going to be included on this board? Or, are they not vintage enough?

Bill
Now that someone has asked, I can include them if you wish. I'm not sure there's one correct definition of "Vintage". Maybe we ought to ask Randy? I wasn't going to include them, but that was just my preference and I'm not doing this just for me. Give me a little time to work them into the boards; this setup is taking a little more than the hour or two I had originally thought...

Sid
Sid Lehr

sdlehr

Just want to let everyone know I am aware that my photos are messed up. I've been reorganizing and changed some photo paths. If you could help by letting me know in which threads photos are missing I can go back and fix things. I'm just afraid I won't find all of them and I could really use a little help. I almost broke the 12-year old rule when I discovered what had happened. Actually, in my head, I did.

Sid
Sid Lehr

mo65

Sid, you're doing a stand up job on organizing all this vintage info. So interesting...I get lost in it and hours pass. And Mike is a walking Penn encyclopedia, then toss in Sal's knowledge, and Fred, and John. I'm learning so much, thanks a million fellas!  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

David Hall

Not sure if it applies to reels but vintage is anything over 25 years old up to 50years old then it's considered antique.
Like many of us!

Deepennz

Hi,
Has anyone heard from Sid recently, or is there something I don't know?
62 guests and members viewing this board - Sid (and Mike) what have you started!!

Martin

Penn Chronology

QuoteHas anyone heard from Sid recently, or is there something I don't know?
62 guests and members viewing this board - Sid (and Mike) what have you started!!

I am here. Have suffered some backward motion but I am not dead yet. Still kicking. Try to respond to things as my time allows. Don't count me out.

I do not answer for Sid. I assume he is around here somewhere.

I will be releasing a new book about Ocean City reels. That is where Otto Henze learned his trade, so without OC, there would be no Penn. I felt a strong urge to do a OC history book and wound up doing two. The second one will be Photos and all the OC catalogs (the second book will be released at a later date with a two volume hardcover Limited Edition) if all goes well with the first release. A project that I have been into for a number of years. Will do a separate post when the book is available. I believe first volume has gone to press.

oc1

Quote from: Deepennz on October 22, 2019, 11:10:35 PM
Has anyone heard from Sid recently, or is there something I don't know?
This was discussed about six months ago and Alan had heard from him.  He is just doing other things.
-steve

Shark Hunter

Sid hasn't officially posted anything since February.
I wish him only the best and hope he makes a comeback. ;)
Life is Good!

milne

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 24, 2019, 07:38:38 AM
Sid hasn't officially posted anything since February.
I wish him only the best and hope he makes a comeback. ;)

Ditto,

Miss his enthusiasm and input......
Hope all's well Sid......

Col