Avet EXW 50-2 won't shift into 2nd gear.....help!

Started by mitchman, April 05, 2016, 04:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitchman

I have a used Avet EXW 50-2 (older version) and it won't shift into second gear. I have gone through the rebuild thread here, and it was helpful but didn't solve my issue. Also, I have another EXW 50-2 that is working great that I dissembled to compare too. I swapped spools and the problem reel's spool worked & shifted fine on the other reel, so it must be something in the gear train assembly. I dissembled the gear train as much as I could but could not locate the problem. I also could not get either spring out or dissemble the driveshaft (#66) from the Pusher (#64). One thing I did notice is the plastic washer #61 on the schematics is slightly different on the older reel than the newer one. Does anyone have any suggestions or how to dissemble the gear? I'd rather not send it to Avet as it will cost a lot to ship & service coming from the east coast (plus I like doing my own work). Thanks!

josa1

Hi Mitchman,

When low speed operation is selected, the cross shaft is pushed out of the high speed gear into the slot in the low speed gear. This allows the handle/crank arm to drive the low speed gear.  If the gear side of the crank arm is assembled incorrectly the cross shaft might not reach the low speed gear slot.

So, when you press the push knob to select low speed operation, is it captured by the release arm holding the knob in the low speed position?  I.e. the knob stays depressed?  If the answer is yes, then I would say the problem is in the gear stack up.

If it's in the gear stack up, are the gears facing correctly on the crank shaft.  If not the cross shaft will not reach the slot in the low speed gear to initiate low speed operation.

josa1

josa1

mitchman

Thanks for your input Josa1. I checked my reel last night and when I push the button the 2nd gear the button stays depressed but it is failing to engage as you can feel the gear trying to catch but skipping....much like when you're shifting gears on a bike and it won't catch. So it must be something in the stack. I am fairly certain everything is aligned properly as I checked against another EX50 that I own, but I will try to get some photos up here. Headed out for a week long vacation though this weekend so it might be a week or more before I get them up.

josa1

Hi Mitchman,

O.K. Progress!!  So you should just have to disassemble the gear side of the drive shaft.

In order, remove the nut (left handed threads) the alignment pin, the left side washer (position sensitive, the tabs on the washer are on the outside, and fit in recesses in the drive shaft), low speed gear (position sensitive) the left side washer fits in a recess in the low speed gear, it should fit perfectly into the recess.  Then the center washer fits in recesses, perfectly, in the low and high speed gears.  The slick, flat, non machined side of the high speed gear rides against the right washer, which covers the cross shaft.

Be sure the little "bump" on the cross shaft is facing the nut.

Let me know how you make out.  I'm confident that you can repair this rather easily.

josa1

Tightlines667

Also ensure it is clean and properly lubricated.  Sometimes a thinner grease (thinned with corrosionX) works best for te 2 speed mechanisms.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

mitchman

Thanks guys. Been out of town but now getting around to this again. So I took apart the Avet 50 once again and this time I took some photos so hopefully you guys can tell me if I have everything lined up correctly or can spot any problems.

josa1

Hi Mitchman,

You know, somehow I missed the post with the pictures. Sorry about that.  One thing that's not clear is the cross shaft.  One side of the shaft has a small nub that is supposed to face towards the nut.  Does it?

josa1

josa1

It's a little confusing looking at your pictures.  All the things are there, just don't know how you're positioning them.  Look at the picture I've attached.  Note the differences between it and your pictures.  See how far the gears are apart?  In your pictures they look like they're riding right together.

I assemble the stack up like this...

Place the right washer on the shaft.

Next, place the fork spring and the cross shaft in place.  The nub on the cross shaft faces towards the stop nut.

Next place the high speed gear on the shaft.  The "slick part of the gear rides against the right washer.

Next place the center washer on the shaft.  It should fit exactly into the recess machined into the high speed gear.

Now, look at the low speed gear.  One side fits over the center washer.  The left washer fits into the recess on the other side of the gear.

Here is a picture.. . . . .

Tightlines667

Nice explaination.  I meant to respond to this thread earlier, but forgot.. sorry.  The orientation of te gears in the stack with regards to the recess is important too.  After you get it assembled, slap the handle on and test it.  You shold he able too see what is wrong if it doesn'the function properly.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

josa1

I don't know how to position the pictures in relationship to the text so I'll just do a couple of single pictures with an explanation.

Here is the high speed gear, the slick part rides on the right washer.

josa1

Here is a picture of the left washer as it's being installed....Note the tabs on the washer fit into the slots on the end of the drive shaft.

mitchman

Josa1 thanks so much for the input! Just seeing this after being out of town for work for a few days. I'm going to try to take a look at this this weekend and will report back...