99 Silver Beach

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 01:56:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Quote from: basto on October 10, 2016, 09:16:43 PM
Because the 99 uses the same quick takedown head plate as the 500, you can screw the 500 plate right onto the 99 for a higher gear ratio and bigger drags, with a narrower frame of the 99.
Can`t put the 500 tail plate on though, because of the different stand screw pattern.
I  remember Mr Tani telling us this years ago.
Basto

Yep! That's what's about to happen to my spare parts from the 99 and Cortez jiggy builds!  ;D

bluefish69

Basto

I have 2 - 99's that I switch Head Plates. 1 - is stock & 1 - is all SS/ 5-1 Gears.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

basto

Yes guys. They are a bit like jigmasters. Very much modified from what I have read.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

basto

My 99 arrived and I took a couple of quick pics in the car outside the post office.

a bit of cleaning to do.

I was surprised to find all silver in the engine room.
I will post some more pics when I get it all cleaned up.
It turns like a new reel and everything mechanical is in great condition.
Basto

hurt locker

Great reel, I acquired one a couple of months ago also. Had the right side on a 501 Jigmaster  but recently put it back to stock.

thorhammer

basto

I got it cleaned up and it does not look all that much different.

I have never been a big fan of the quick take down models, but the locking posts on this 99 are much more effective than on the jigmasters I have owned, which just seem to be a pressed out bump.
The 99 has actual posts.
cheers
Basto

mo65

I finally picked up a nice 99 Silver Beach. The seller's pics are actually pretty good this time. The outside looks great, and I can't wait until I get a chance to fine tune the inner workings. I bet when Penn canceled this reel they had no idea that in the future it would become a very popular modification to make a "99". 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

basto

Wow Mo!  That is in beautiful condition. Love the handle. Nice find!
Basto

Swami805

Nice, it looks almost new. That handle is a nice addition.
Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Maxed Out

Quote from: basto on November 16, 2016, 11:39:00 PM
Wow Mo!  That is in beautiful condition. Love the handle. Nice find!
Basto

Ditto on that ^^^

Those reels were mini tanks and Penn knew it, so they put 3 screws on each side of the stand, which is unusual for that size Penn reel.

The 3 position power handle is a huge bonus, as those are all but extinct. Good grab on this one Mo !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mo65

Thanks fellas! She has a steel main...so I was thinkin' ss gear sleeve and a 5 stack...but the more I ponder it I'm leanin' towards a bone stock fine tuning. I'll probably never fish it, it will be one of those reels I sit and spin the handle while I'm watching TV. But ain't just any reel that gets that honor! 8)

USN_ED

That reel is a looker MO!!!  The handle knob is stunning!!!
ED

cbar45

Quote from: USN_ED on November 17, 2016, 11:55:25 PM
That reel is a looker MO!!!  The handle knob is stunning!!!

x2 Love how you could have a dozen of those knobs in the same color, yet each one swirled slightly different.

mo65

I got some time to reassemble the 99 this morning. I decided to keep this one stock...it just seemed like the right thing to do. All I replaced were the old leather drags and the drag star. The #10-66 looks and feels better with the Convertible handle. The first photo is all the parts cleaned and prepped, and you may notice most of the plating on the drag washers is missing. That's because I feel lapped completely flat washers are more important than shiny ones. The difference in drag power can be dramatic...those stamped washers have a "lip" or raised area from being cut. This takes away surface area, instead of making solid pressure across the whole washer. I thought that sounded like a stretch until I lapped some washers on a reel experiencing weak drag...now I'm a believer!  8)