99 Silver Beach

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 01:56:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Excellent Mo, and anyone looking at my drag washers shininess swims back. I lap all on Emory cloth.

Penn Chronology

Beautiful job on the 99. I feel stock is pretty good. I know that we love to turn these reels into tanks; but, if you are not using them for monster fish, sometimes the money for the upgrades is simply not justified. A 99 will handle many fish the way you built it. Great job!

Rothmar2

That's a beauty Mo! I have one, buts it's certainly not in showroom condition like yours. I "might" be making it into a project reel some day, but there is something about these Silver Beaches that whispers to you not to.

John, I do my drag washer lapping on a designated lapping plate (at work) or a piece of glass (at home) using proper lapping pastes (coarse, medium, fine). It's time consuming, but worth the effort IMO. I steer clear of using emery paper, I don't trust it to be "flat" enough. But that's just my engineer mindset taking over.

thorhammer

Hey Chris! Noted on the paste; I'll go that route. Compared to the state of the discs when they come out of some of these gunked-up reels, the emory cloth is an improvement, if not top notch.

When are we getting some more updates on your Jigmaster frame projects??? :)

mo65

Quote from: Penn Chronology on November 23, 2016, 09:17:54 PM
A 99 will handle many fish the way you built it.

I agree, This reel in stock form is a capable reel. Actually, what I've done inside will improve drag power by 5-6 lbs. I lapped the metal drag washers and I used a carbontex washer under the main gear. This under gear washer might not be the best choice for long, fast running fish, but for my fishing the added power of an additional friction surface for a few bucks is hard to beat. If I ever did have a fish pull long enough to chew up that washer it is easily replaced. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rothmar2

Quote from: thorhammer on November 23, 2016, 09:42:19 PM

When are we getting some more updates on your Jigmaster frame projects??? :)

Sent you a PM John, so as not to detract from this thread.

Emery can be used to get rid of the bulk of the curvature before hitting with the lapping pastes, a combination of both would probably work well.

Dan-J

I am trying to organize all of my fishing reels and found this Silver Beach.  The dog spring was missing but that all that was wrong with it.  I cleaned it up and it works fine.   I am assuming it is of a 1980s vintage. 

Thinking of putting in an updated drag, replacing the plastic spool and getting a better handle.   

I welcome any other suggestions.

mo65

Nice reel Dan-J! It's way older than 80ish, some of the folks here should give you a reasonable age. I'll guess 50s era. 8)

Penn Chronology

QuoteI am trying to organize all of my fishing reels and found this Silver Beach.  The dog spring was missing but that all that was wrong with it.  I cleaned it up and it works fine.   I am assuming it is of a 1980s vintage.  

Thinking of putting in an updated drag, replacing the plastic spool and getting a better handle.  

Nice reel. I would date that 99 in the mid 1950's. No earlier than 1953; but because of the plastic spool and the style of the handle knob I would say 1954 or 55. Do not lose the handle, that is the main character of the reel as a vintage piece. IMHO

mo65

Quote from: Penn Chronology on January 19, 2017, 07:48:06 PM
Do not lose the handle, that is the main character of the reel as a vintage piece.

Absolutely...that handle is a gem. If you use another handle for fishing keep this one for "lookin' at"!

Swami805

All I have is this piece of hard rock candy ,but it's not for eatin ,it's just for lookin thru.  Classic
Do what you can with that you have where you are

bluefish69

That was a great movie.  Chief Dan George
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Dan-J

Quote from: Penn Chronology on January 19, 2017, 07:48:06 PM
QuoteI am trying to organize all of my fishing reels and found this Silver Beach.  The dog spring was missing but that all that was wrong with it.  I cleaned it up and it works fine.   I am assuming it is of a 1980s vintage.  

Nice reel. I would date that 99 in the mid 1950's. No earlier than 1953; but because of the plastic spool and the style of the handle knob I would say 1954 or 55. Do not lose the handle, that is the main character of the reel as a vintage piece. IMHO
Knowing that this reel is from the mid-1950s I now believe that this is one of my first reels.  I also had a Delmar, an Ocean City and a Beachmaster that I fished with in the '60s all three are MIA.  Since and early age I knew that one reel is never enough.
This reel is going on a shelf.
Thanks for the information.

stoked4fishin

Well, this one's a Silver Beach, just not a 99.  Picked it up a couple weeks ago.  Not sure what year, but I think it may be late 30's?  It does have a few of the older features (waffle clicker, knurled front cross bar, yardage stamped on the foot).  Any information on the best way to clean it without further damage to the chrome parts is appreciated.
Jeff

mo65

I'd need to see the handle better to date it to the year...but it's an early Silverbeach 97. I clean 'em with dishsoap/baking soda on a toothbrush. 8)