130 Sailfisher

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 01:57:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Post questions about this reel in this thread
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Crow

OK, I just had a 130 follow me home, and ,outside of dirty, and a *bit* corroded...it's in pretty good shape. I don't think, from the inside appearance, that it was ever fished very much....but, when they fished it, they must have left the click on, all the time !  The "tongue " is worn almost entirely away. Has anyone discovered what other Penn used this same tongue / button ? It's N/A for the Sailfisher, and if one of you guys happens to have already traveled this road, it will save me tearing down other reels...AND a lot of measurement ! The brown (delrin ?) drag washers look like new, but the black (thin leather ?)ones are just "mush", but I see there is a HT-100 kit that can be modified, so I'm good there. It *apparently* is an "older" reel, as it has the externally accessible drag.  Thanks again !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

thorhammer

Cornelis lemme check; I think I have a broken 130 side plate you might take the click tongue from.  If so I'll send it on. Cool reels. 

John. 

Crow

I got the 130 together .....I discovered that the actual click "tongue" is the same for a lot of Penn reels, the difference seems to be in the length of the shaft on the "button". I had replaced the click parts on a 3/0, and saved the button, and, as luck would hve it, it is / was slightly longer than the one in the 130, and, with a little help from my "Bohemian Lathe" (drill press and a file {or, Bohemian Milling Machine}) cut down the length of the shaft enough to be able to re use it, on the 130. I "re peened" the tongue to the shaft, but , I *think* some of the replacements using the c clip, might match up, as well.
  I modified the drag kit....not too bad a job....and assembled it, well, ALMOST  ::), it seems the "gremlins" absconded with one post...can't find it, anyplace ??? I thought , maybe, it was left in my parts washer...nope !, Maybe in the cigar box with the rest of the parts ? Nope !, On the floor, under the bench ( I do drop a lot of things, anymore!), or on the bench, itself, maybe under a rag ? Nope, and nope ! That only leaves the gremlins ;)!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

foakes

If you don't find the post, Crow --

Just let me know, and I will send one out.

I think the same post is used on the 85, 285, and a 2/0 111 -- if you might have an extra of one of those.

If not, let me know -- N/C.

Just need to know if it is the thinner post -- or the thicker post.  Have both.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Crow

Thanks so much , for the offer.....and mentioning which others used the same length ! I have an 85 apart, all cleaned up, waiting for assembly, and, when I checked THAT cigar box ::), there was an "extra" post ! Imagine THAT !! So, it's REALLY assembled, now....as with most of my acquisitions ....it's no beauty queen, but, mechanically, it's as good as new !

foakes

Great!

Nice job...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

NIce! I couldn't find the plate; sorry I didn't get back to you quicker.

John

sdlehr

Well done, Crow. Put it to work and catch fish!

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Bill B

Good job brother Crow....them gremlins sure are pesky ....they probably have a a dozen of my AR springs  ;)  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

thorhammer

A little add, since this is not a question or dating per se. I purchased the reel at least 15 years ago; never been in it. Tail plate was cracked, and I had bought a nice set a few months ago. Had some shop time this weekend, so in I go. As Sal would say, I like what I see. Also learned a bit about the reel between MysticParts and Mike's book.

-Two models: accessible drag and closed head plate. Mine is accessible. I don't love the open side and dry fit a spare 113H top hat. It will work but I have to turn down the diameter and then trim a few thousandths off the spacer. Drag accessible and power handle were later production. Mine had a 24-66 handle on it I put there and no idea what it had originally. After I saw the inside, I slapped on an ole-skool 24-56, the only one I've seen with the large knob.

The reel has steel gears that take jigmaster drags with a bit of rat-tail work; the 130 sleeve is a few thousandths larger. The difference is....it has a five stack stock. I replaced with a delrin underneath, carbontex, and power handle but left stock otherwise. This is a strong reel well capable past it's advertised 30 lb line for sailfish design, and now butta smooth with the new drags that I'm sure will beat 8 lbs. It might get 20; I'm going to check it.

Had to file the new plates a bit but then got the rings on and back together. Lapped the brass washers and main gear surface, and got bridge  / jack  / yoke shined also.

I filled it with classic pink 30 lb line; I can just picture it in 1970 on a shiny new Magnaflex in Florida doing damage. Really nice reels.  

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

thorhammer

doubled up and left out bridge pic.

thorhammer

Thanks, brother. I didn't show it, simply because it looks like all the rest we see every day, but this one got full tear down into simple green and then white vinegar, then each part polished, and greased back with Cal's, Corrosion X and Blue in all the usual places. As you said, there's only one way, and that's the right way. Now I'll never wonder in my lifetime what's under the hood there. Same way, every time, on cleaning, drags and lubes. Spool is one piece cast, with 12 seconds free spool in 60 yo bushings. I would not hesitate to load with 65lb braid and 50 mono topshot, though I might sub-in two 501 spacers on the frame. I almost did it but wanted to stay stock as possible, even to the wing nuts I despise. 

Crow

Looks good !  I got one, a while back....did the "drag thing", and a bit of a shine-up, and, I'm taking it south with me, in a few weeks. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to fish it, and "double hopefully", I'll get something *worthy* of being caught on it ! As you say, it looks to be a strong reel !