What size are these reels ? ....Jeff

Hold on there Jeff...I see ya eyeballin' my catfeeshin' reel...LOL!! ;D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rivverrat

Yup these look like they would work well for that.... Jeff

mo65

Quote from: Rivverrat on January 11, 2018, 09:48:44 PM
Yup these look like they would work well for that.... Jeff

I tore the reel down today, and it has a lot of strengths, but the gear sleeve is a stumbling block. It's an odd size...like 13 thousands of an inch bigger diameter than a #98-60. So...no steel sleeve is available. Although the rest of the drive train is up to making high drag numbers, that brass gear sleeve might ruin a power trip...HA! No worries for me though...as I'd likely be fishing the reel at around 10 lbs. drag. Also, this reel looks like it would be easy to double dog. It has the bridge mounted dog. Love this big heavy moly steel main.8)

Swami805

I might be wrong but without outer rings I think they made them to hold a large amount of relatively light line for sailfish. I've caught a few and it was kinda of like a carp that jumps around alot. They're fun on light gear but don't pull that hard when they get tired. Really pretty fish and I think that reel in good order would be a great sailfish reel but I think there's just too many "weak Links" to push it too far.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Maxed Out

Yep, the sailfisher has it's own part# for the star adjuster, and it won't fit any other reel. The bigger gear will get you decent drag #'s and the factory sleeve should handle 15# without any issues.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Tightlines667

You can catch a pretty big fish  with 500+ yards of 50lb braid, 30or50lb topshot and 12-15lbs of drag.

Solid little reels.

I would love to live bait a small Striped Marlin on one spooled with straight 20lb mono sometime, just for some nostalgic light-tackle fun.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn Chronology

All this discussion on the neglected Penn 130 model leaves unanswered questions. We know that there are two logos and two drag style versions. So I went through every catalog from 1952 to 1969, which is the life span of the model and one thing remains consistent. The logo never changed and the reel never had externally accessed drags (as per the catalogs).

At this point in time I know that the double bar (old fashioned logo) is the first and can be seen in every catalog photo. That tells me that Penn probably always used the same rendition throughout the reel's lifespan. Being that we do know there is a logo change and head plate drag access change, I would like to assume that both those changes happened together with the making of a new mold or the modifying of an old one; but, the first picture in this thread proves that is not the case.  The original mold has a raised portion molded into the head plate to allow for the high main gear, so changing to a open drag head plate is not a big step and the mold plug is interchangeable making this build change easy to mix and match.

All we now have to do is collect every Model 130 in the box with catalog in NOS condition, only then can we come to a 100% conclusion (well maybe only 90%) of when the actual logo / drag change happened.

I always felt that 130 was a great reel that never got the attention it deserved. It was outclassed by the 349 early in its life span and never got over that fact. I have known people that fished in the Northwest for Salmon and had a love affair with this model, using only the 130 and no other reel for trolling; but, I cannot speak from experience concerning that. In the Northeast the model also had fans that felt very strongly about it; but, not too many fans. All in all, I feel the 130 was a great reel that had too short a life span; but, that's the way things go in the big city.........<:O(

mo65

Quote from: Penn Chronology on June 01, 2018, 10:53:56 AM
I always felt that 130 was a great reel that never got the attention it deserved. It was outclassed by the 349 early in its life span and never got over that fact.

My sentiments exactly. The only real advantage the 349 possesses over the 130 is the gear sleeve. Both reels have the ability to double stock drag numbers by using modern materials, but the 130 can't upgrade to a steel gear sleeve that can handle those numbers, and trashing that stock brass sleeve is gonna leave ya in a bad way! There are no aftermarket sleeves to fit this reel...and stock sleeves are not an easy find. Be that as it may, I love these reels. They are a bigger, faster, stronger LB 60, and I feel in the future will become a collectors' prize.

thorhammer

Hey is that motor going to Virginia with you next week as planned?

mo65

Quote from: thorhammer on June 01, 2018, 05:16:44 PM
Hey is that motor going to Virginia with you next week as planned?

I want to take it...but it's not on a rod. What type rod would I put it on for an offshore Seabass/Tilefish/Grouper trip? And does it hold enough line for fishing 300-800ft. of water? All new to me fellas...I call 30ft. deep water around here. 8)