Newell S344-5

Started by JackC, February 22, 2011, 04:41:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackC

Greetings from the frozen Northeast.  My first post.  I'm from CT and have been a fan of Alan and this site for some time.  Great information. 

Just cleaned up a little Avet SX using the tutorial information and now onto more challenging reel repair issues.

I have a Newell S344-5 that has issues with "locking up"  - short story is that the reel was put on the work bench in mid season last year and I decided to tackle it myself.   The reel is in great shape from a corrosion standpoint.   I pulled it apart and the pinion gear is "flopping around" (it wobbles).  I did not pull the mechanism apart yet without some advise and what parts should be ordered.  (and if they are even available) 

The reel is in great shape (no corrosion) - the "floppy pinion gear" seems a bit unique. 

I can post pics if need be. 

Thanks - Jack

kamuwela

all pic's are welcomed and very much appreciated. thank's

JackC

Struggling with the posting a pic due to file size.  Anyway, the pinon gear appears to have been cut down by the yoke (has anyone seen this before?)  The reel is very, very clean and this appears to be the only major issue (the other being a cracked plastic washer on the star drag assembly under the handle). 

Interestingly enough I remember the reel sounding like a coffee grinder and the pinon must be ground down enough to be sloppy.  (I guess I need a new yoke as well). 

I do a great deal of east coast diamond jigging so the yoke may have very well cut into the pinon.   

Thanks - Jack

franky

Hello JackC,

I do some work on newells and am kind of confused   ??? on the pinion being cut down by the yoke. 

Pictures would speak a thousand words....to help finding a solution.  :)

When I look at my pinion gear, there is some wobble.  I think that is normal.  I have seen a case where the pinion left a mark on the yoke, but not the other way around.

I am no computer expert myself, but if you can find someone (try asking the neighborhood kids  ;D) to help you with posting a pic, I believe there are lots of guys on this site that would have the solution right away. 

JackC

Pics - will be coming.. (most likely the weekend)..  I'll try a low end camera instead of the one I was using with 4 Meg pics...  It will be about 10 weeks before I start SW fishing so I have some time.

Stay tuned & Thanks

Jack

Alto Mare

I was thinking the same Franky, it's usually the pinion that chews up the yoke, looks like something else is going on, maybe the pix will tell the story.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

but the pinion gear stays put and works fine when the reel is all together, right?  inspect the teeth of the main and pinion gears for damage.  remember that changing one gear pretty much requires you to change the other.  more importantly, damage to a gear teeth is a symptom, not a cause.  could the drags have locked up?  if so, changing out the drags to carbontex would solve that. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

JackC

Thanks for the help.  Still have pic issues (I'll figure it out).   Alan - no issue changing drag washers.  I'm a bit of a rookie on the reel repair subject to everyone will need to bear with me.  I managed to tear down the little Avet and give it a proper lubrication and had a great time doing it.  I have purchased all the proper lubes per the instructions on this site (and a decent tool selection), and all my drag washers are going to be greased.   

This reel is actually my father's reel (he's 76) and loved his Newell but it started to sound funny during the season last year and I harassed him about doing some "PM" on the reel.   When it became unfishable (what I will call "binding") it hit the work bench.  The East Coast is not Newell country so a local repair can not be found (after reading the advise on this site, I'm not sure most of the local reel repair shops do it as well as can be done).   

I just looked at the gear assembly again.  The yoke has a sharp edge and the "collar" on the pinon gear appears to be "scored".  When the pinon gear is removed, I notice the yoke does not sit "true" since the yoke is "spring loaded".   When I put the pinon gear back in the gear assembly runs smooth when laid flat on a table.   When I turn the assembly vertical it appears the yoke puts some torque on the pinon gear which pulls it out of alignment. 

alantani

change out the drags first and see how it works........
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

JackC

Thanks....  I'll order them ASAP. 

Jack

CHawk

Did you figure out a solution yet. I have a S338-5 and you describe the symptoms exactly as I'm experiencing. Reel is also in excellent condition with no corrosion at all. Replaced bearings and drag washers- still feels/sounds like a "coffee grinder". Also located in northeast and haven't met any local Newell experts.

Tom

JackC

The reel has been on the repair bench since the post because I was going to put a list of drag washers together before the fishing starts in my home waters of Long Island Sound (and I have been very busy with work).    With the depth of the cold weather this spring - things look mighty delayed on the fishing front, which gives me some time to get the reels in shape.

Anyway- the pinion gear on my reel does look a bit "chipped" and may be the source of the problem. 

What state are you located in?

Good Luck - Jack

CHawk

I'm in Shelton, Connecticut. Got all my gear set  except the 338, put in new bearings and drag washers but it still feels like a "coffee grinder". Everything looks o/k, no corrossion and no visible wear. I really like the reel, but... . If the weather breaks this weekend the boat is coming out of the barn to get ready for the season.

franky

Hello Tom,

Welcome to the world of Love/Hate relationships with Newells.  If you looked at all the internals of your reel and everything looks fine (no wear on the gears, no sheering of the metal, and everything is greased up), that coffee grind sound and feel is just....NEWELL!   ;D

All my newells have that coffee grinder feel and sound.  Yes the reels are ugly, yes they are noisy, and yes they have a rough coffee grinder feel when you crank them.  Oh and yes, the tolerances from one newell reel to the other is very different and so are the replacement parts when trying to fix them...hence bearing shims, etc... :'( ??? ::)

But for some reason, over the years, lots of guys still reach for their newells when they are in the fishing line-up.   ::) ??? :-\

As long as the reel is in good shape and properly maintained and greased up...neva mind the coffee grinder sound and feel....JUST FISH IT!!!  :)

Either that or you could get a Diawa or a Shimano...those puppies are the smoothest and quietest things on earth...just becareful of the ARB and the anti-reverse pawl.  For me, I am a big fan of the dogs and springs.  :)

steelfish

Quote from: franky on April 05, 2011, 07:21:18 PM
Hello Tom,

Welcome to the world of Love/Hate relationships with Newells.  If you looked at all the internals of your reel and everything looks fine (no wear on the gears, no sheering of the metal, and everything is greased up), that coffee grind sound and feel is just....NEWELL!   ;D

As long as the reel is in good shape and properly maintained and greased up...neva mind the coffee grinder sound and feel....JUST FISH IT!!!  :)

I dont know if those two sentenses broke my heart or lift up my spirit haha.

I have a newell S-344-5 that everything looks and seems in perfect shape, recently cleaned and lube but sounds like famous coffe grinder.
if you separate the right plate with gears and everything installed the handle crank pretty smooth and silence, but as soon as you put the plate on its place and crank again the grind sounds appears.

I think I will just put some line and fish with it, lucky me the long post where not correded and I could take them out easy, so now are pretty greased and will keep and eye on them from time to time to avoid corrosion

The Baja Guy