155, 155M, 155L Light Tackle Casting/surf reel/Beachmaster

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 01:59:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dustin0330

Thanks for all the info! The dog arrangement in my 155 is a little different from both of those. I'll pull it back apart tomorrow afternoon and snap a few pics.

Penn Chronology

QuoteHopefully someone else will come along if there is a way to nail it any closer. No idea if there is any documentation about when they redesigned the head plate and started putting LH dogs on the opposite post...

It is a late 1940's reel. Penn 155's are very alike. Mostly, to get a particular reel dated to n exact year, tou need a package of box and catalog along with the reel.

As far as I know, there is no documentation of when Penn moved from the hand altered plates I pictured to the right and left hand convertible plates. I would make a guess the transition was post war, late 1940's.

mo65

My first Penn was a 155...caught some nice catfish on that old bird. The more modern reel I replaced it with lasted about 2 seasons. >:(  I bet somebody somewhere is still winding them in on that old 155! :D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Quote from: mo65 on August 03, 2016, 03:46:02 PM
My first Penn was a 155...caught some nice catfish on that old bird. The more modern reel I replaced it with lasted about 2 seasons. >:(  I bet somebody somewhere is still winding them in on that old 155! :D

Consider what the reality is -- in these statements about a Plain-Jane, White Bread, old and inexpensive fishing reel -- that dates back 2 or 3 generations...

This dead-simple, clever, and proven reel design has spanned the test of time.

Much like a trusted Uncle that we can always go to for solid advice...

Or, similar to a business that we can always count on to be fair, open, and reliable...

Penn is that company -- compared to all of the latest and greatest new reels that have come out -- and lasted for a year or two -- most designs have copied Penn to some extent.

Is Penn the best reel out there today?  Maybe, or maybe not -- but we all are still using them to catch fish very capably.  Plus, all of our upgrades are still based on the original Penn platform and design.

And why leave an old friend for a new one? 

Better to have two friends...

We must give credit where it is due -- plus appreciate and be grateful for what we already have.

Just my opinions...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bill B

Well said brother....just so happens yesterday a friend offered me a boat ride to troll for salmon on the Sacramento River, the only rod and reel I grabbed was and old Squidder and well worn rod.  He commented "thats really old school, and really cool".  My comment was "it works every time, all the time and still catches fish".  Didn't catch fish last night, but I caught him taking "loving glances" at the set up.....I might have to root around and get him an "old school" rig..... ;D   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Dustin0330

Here's a pic of the dog arrangement on this 155.

Penn Chronology

QuoteHere's a pic of the dog arrangement on this 155.

That is exactly the same as the dog arrangement I have previously pictured in this thread, except for how you have placed the tail of the dog spring. To have the dog operate properly, the spring has to load the dog for upward pressure on the bottom of the dog sleeve gear. The plate has to be milled to allow for space to place the tail of the spring, as you see in my photos.

Your dog and spring assembly is the same as mine. When Penn created a left hand reel back in the 1930's and 40's, they made a cut onto the dog for the purpose of retaining the dog spring while bending the spring around the body of the dog. The plate had to be milled out to create a pocket for the low needed travel of the dog itself and a place to lay the dog spring tail. I believe yours should be mounted the same way mine is, not the way you have the spring placed. Your plate is milled out for the lower placement of the dog.

Dustin0330

You're absolutely right! Please excuse my inexperience with these vintage Penns. I reassembled the reel exactly how I found it, and obviously the last person to have it apart wasn't as knowledgeable about them as you guys. Thanks again for all the assistance.

foakes

You did good, Dustin --

That is how we all learn -- plus how would we know if you did not post such good pics?

If you keep up the learning curve -- soon you will be teaching others and offering advice on this site.

Appreciate you bringing this old soldier back to life --

If you need any parts -- let me know.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dustin0330

Thanks Fred! I hope to bring many more of them back to life. I don't see any reason to spend the big money it takes to buy a quality reel these days when these old Penns are perfectly capable of doing what I need them to do.

Penn Chronology

QuoteYou're absolutely right! Please excuse my inexperience with these vintage Penns. I reassembled the reel exactly how I found it, and obviously the last person to have it apart wasn't as knowledgeable about them as you guys. Thanks again for all the assistance

Glad to help.

JohnDeereMoxie

Hello, my name is Sam, new here.   I posted a couple photos of my grandfather's Penn No. 155 I'm in the process of cleaning up.  I don't think it was been used in at least 30 years.  Wondering how to date it.  Thank you :)

Tightlines667

Your reel has part numbers so it is post ca. 1950.  These reels were manufactured through 2003, so it's tough to to say for sure.  I believe the red handles either that type of counterweight are typical of early 1960s reels.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

JohnDeereMoxie

Quote from: Tightlines666 on August 18, 2016, 08:38:45 PM
Your reel has part numbers so it is post ca. 1950.  These reels were manufactured through 2003, so it's tough to to say for sure.  I believe the red handles either that type of counterweight are typical of early 1960s reels.

Figured it was 60s, most of his stuff is from that era.  I plan on using it when it's back in shape.  I think it looks pretty good for sitting in the basement for the past 30 years.  Took it off of an old bamboo rod he had.