155, 155M, 155L Light Tackle Casting/surf reel/Beachmaster

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 01:59:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnDeereMoxie

Quote from: RowdyW on August 28, 2016, 05:24:31 PM
You are probably engaging the ecc. spring in the notch when dropping the ecc. into the plate & the bottom of the spring is sitting on the step in the plate. Try installing the ecc. with the spring out of the notch until the lever & screw are snugged down. Then using needle nosed pliers twist the spring into the notch. Also the gears will not turn smoothly until the spool & plates are assembled to hold the pinion gear in a straight alighnment.    Rudy

Thanks Rudy! Did some tweeking just before you posted this and I got it! My first reel repair! My grandfather would be proud. Big thanks to you and the others! Sounds a lot better!  Feels a lot smoother too! What's a good way to keep the salt corrosion down?

RowdyW

Rinse it with fresh water & wipe it down. Lots of things will help protect it from the salt like wax, oily cloth, silicone, etc.

JohnDeereMoxie

Quote from: RowdyW on August 28, 2016, 07:10:29 PM
Rinse it with fresh water & wipe it down. Lots of things will help protect it from the salt like wax, oily cloth, silicone, etc.

Will do. Thanks

sdlehr

I split off the questions about the handle and the "B" marking into this thread on handles http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=19873.0

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Maxed Out

Quote from: Penn Chronology on November 26, 2016, 01:29:57 AM
I someone figures out what the "B" means I will be happy. I have never known and always wondered about it.

Mike, Sid & Basto, here is my take: These handles were the very beginning of the new part number system and stamping numbers onto the part(Late 1940's era). I've seen dozens of the B or S stamped handles and one thing I found they all had in common was 1949-1950 era, and the "tumbled" finish. Those B handles can be found on the less expensive Penns like long beach, Delmar, 155, some 259's and a few others. I've yet to find a B handle on a small senator from same era, and I've yet to find a polished handle with the B stamping.

I may be all wrong, and in that case, please forget I ever mentioned anything ;D ;D

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

sdlehr

Quote from: Maxed Out on November 26, 2016, 01:46:17 AM
I may be all wrong, and in that case, please forget I ever mentioned anything ;D ;D

Ted
Ted, your observations stand on their own. They cannot be wrong. These are good observations, and I know more now than I did before. We're lucky to have you here. Penn began numbering parts right around this time, so maybe in the beginning of parts numbering they wanted to designate the less-expensive, tumbled-finish handles to keep them separate.... but wouldn't the part number itself do that sufficiently? So why a "B"? Maybe we can assemble a list of the reels that came with handles with this designation and maybe that will show us something?

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

basto

When I looked at my 155 recently, I just wanted to spool it up and fish it. So after replacing a few well weathered parts, I put some braid for backing under some 15 lb monofilament.
Then I put a 30-200 stand, a set of posts from my 3/0 which I narrowed, a different handle and a better eccentric lever.
The first pic is obviously before I modified it.

I put it on my 10 ft surf rod which I made from a Pacific Composites 6-10kg blank.
First cast was good. Second cast got an over run. Third cast got the line behind the spool.
The line got behind the spool a couple of times, but I think I can cure this with practice.

I did not catch any fish, but had a great time using the reel.
cheers
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Bill B

Greta mod brother.....but we are gonna have to talk about your reel seat.... ;)   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mo65

Quote from: basto on January 29, 2017, 12:17:23 AM
The line got behind the spool a couple of times, but I think I can cure this with practice.

Hi Basto,
   I've had the same trouble with mono under 20lb. on these plastic spools. They were designed to use  linen or Dacron and perform better with them...at least in my experience. Modern braids with a mono leader work pretty good also. Don't forget to try grease or a heavier oil in the bearings. It will take some speed off the spool, which serves my casting skills much better than 12 minutes of freespool. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

basto

Quote from: TARFU on January 29, 2017, 01:27:25 AM
Greta mod brother.....but we are gonna have to talk about your reel seat.... ;)   Bill

Hi Bill
That`s a quick release reel seat made by Fuji. The best part about them is that you can change them to a different position on the rod very quickly also.
I have 3 of them in different sizes.
Basto

basto

Hi Mo
Funny you mention linen and dacron. That is what was on the reel when I bought it.
Basto

Bill B

Never seen that seat before, very clever brother.....great job on that 155..... I have one and it's non-numbered and came with linen also.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mo65

I saw a 155 listed cheap because it had a busted tail plate. I dug into my stash and found the correct plate. Looking the eBay pics over, I determined this was one of those ones that would clean up real nice, so I pounced on it. The pic below is the reel as received...let's dig in!

The first thing I noticed was this bent ring. It was a decent ring other than that little dent...time for some body work.

I used that busted plate as a "form" to reshape the dented part. These side by side pics show how I corrected the shape by tapping with the wooden handle of a file.

Check out the before and after shots of the stand...dramatic! The only spot that lost any chrome is that one little corner.

More before and after photos. The bridge was completely disassembled, cleaned, re-greased, and the original leather drags were returned.

As always, all I use are simple kitchen cleaners. Dish soap, WD-40, baking soda, and vinegar. I have yet to see a reason to used anything else!

I'm very pleased with the outcome. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

JoseCuervo

Very nice cleanup Mo. They start out looking soo terrible people think they aren't worth anything, cost wise. I hope you got a smokin' deal on it with the broken plate, everyone has a parts 155. They are one of my favorite for salmon fishing, and I started with them. I use Jigmasters now.

foakes

Great job, Mike!

Is that going to be a cat-fisher or a shelf-fisher?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.