160, 160M, 160L Light Tackle Casting/surf reel; Beachmaster

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:01:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Please post your questions about the chronological history of this reel, or your reel, in this post.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

oc1

Picked up this 160M.  Had to replace a broken eccentric spring, one missing screw, two incorrect screws, and still working on the drag washers.  My guess is 1939 to 1941.  Can anyone please correct or refine the dates and let me know if anything else does not look original.  Also, wouldn't these have had leather drag washers?  They are so flattened and burnt I can't tell what the material is.  I'm not very good at this and would appreciate any help.
-steve

foakes

Nice old reel, Steve.

Love that green football crank knob.

If you are going to fish it -- CF greased is the way to go.

If you are going to display it in Princess Parking -- then I will send you 3 new leather drags.

Will need the OD & ID.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

Thank you very much Fred.  The reel will be fished and has CF for now.  But, I remember old men talking about making their own leather washers and want to try it.  The first time was a failure but I think I have the thickness and lapping technique figured out now.

I see you have those grey fiber washers too.  Do you happen to know when Penn switched from leather to gray fiber?  Was that stuff asbestos?  I'll probably need those for the next project.
-steve

foakes

I see you have those grey fiber washers too.  Do you happen to know when Penn switched from leather to gray fiber?  Was that stuff asbestos?  I'll probably need those for the next project.

Really do not know, Steve...

But when you are ready, and know what you need -- if I have it, it is yours.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Great score Steve! I just picked up a 160 a few days ago and was going to make a "why does nobody show or talk about 160s" post...hee hee...no need for that now! This model will complete my beachmaster set, and I think I'm finding this mid-size model may be my favorite. Everything appears correct on yours, the handle styling may help date it. As this pic shows, mine has a different handle styling. I'll post more pics after I get a chance to go over mine.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

basto

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

oc1

The torpedo looks the same Mo, but your knurled counter weight looks older then my coin counter weight.  I'm not responsible enough to have one with all plating intact.
-steve

mo65

Quote from: foakes on November 30, 2016, 06:06:23 PM
  Do you happen to know when Penn switched from leather to gray fiber?  Was that stuff asbestos? 

So far I've only seen the gray fiber washers in larger gears...like the #5-500 and larger. All the old literature refers to them as "brake lining", and it does appear to be an asbestos.

mo65

I got a chance to give my 160 the once over...and I continue to like the feel of this reel. This one is too pretty to get muddy, or I'd prolly be draggin' it down to the river.:D  It was gummed up inside with the stinkiest grease I've come across yet.:P

thorhammer

Nice! I did this one a few weeks back; $5 at a pawn shop and a plate from Harry.

mo65

Five bucks??? :o John, that was a fine buy! What species of fish would you be targeting with that combo? 8)

Maxed Out

Those are some sweet reels, both with no part numbers, Mo, your reel has coin edge and would be pre war. Most the 1940's 160's I've seen are plastic spool. A non numbered 160 with correct metal spool is a good find !!

The most famous 160M of all time is a NOS 1957 version that came with a full color pocket catalog. Sometimes paying a little too much is Ok  ;D ;D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

thorhammer

Quote from: mo65 on December 06, 2016, 09:50:03 PM
   Five bucks??? :o John, that was a fine buy! What species of fish would you be targeting with that combo? 8)

Mo, that's kind of funny, you assume I actually ever get to go fishing, lol.  ;D

I set it up on a 5'9" jigging rod I built ($14 for the combo, detailed previously). It'd make a great sea bass outfit, or cats and stripers in freshwater.

oc1

So, the third try at making leather washers worked out OK.  I soaked a piece of latigo in water overnight, stretched it around a block of wood with the rough side outward and let it dry.  It shrinks when drying and becomes very tight.

Then it was lapped on a fine grit disc sander to 0.7 mm thickness.

I don't have a punch set so they were cut by hand with a razor knife.

It won't save any money.  The sanding disc alone is worth a lot more than the washers.  They are guaranteed to be just as inconsistent and unpredictable as the originals.  There was always a debate about whether to run them wet (oiled) or dry.  They always seemed to be too thick and swollen at first but quickly became too thin and compressed so the adjustment range on the star was never exactly what you wanted.  I need to break them in before measuring the drag.
-steve