500, 500L, 500-LH, 500L-LH Jigmaster

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superhook

Richie's on the mark. It was Penn's first year of the Jigga and they just used a sticker instead of the moulded logo ID.

Ray

sdlehr

The Jigmaster wasn't alone with a sticker on the head plate

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

sdlehr

Quote from: Keta on April 09, 2016, 02:09:43 PM
Is that a 10 or 210 Sid? 
It's a 210, Lee, but it's not mine. I lifted the pic off of Ebay. And I have no idea if they made a LH version or how many they may have made, if that is your next question... ;D ;D ;D

Sid
Sid Lehr

DaBigOno

Quote from: Superhook on April 09, 2016, 11:46:58 AM
Richie's on the mark. It was Penn's first year of the Jigga and they just used a sticker instead of the moulded logo ID.
Ray

Thanks for the info Ray.    I'm glad to learn that I don't have a "knock-off" Jig-Master
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Bill B

Two questions:
1) What year did the Jigmaster go from posts to spacer bars?
2) What year did Penn handles in general go from torpedo to the rubber T handle?

Thanks for any input....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Penn Chronology

QuoteTwo questions:
1) What year did the Jigmaster go from posts to spacer bars?
2) What year did Penn handles in general go from torpedo to the rubber T handle?

Thanks for any input....Bill

Hello Bill,

Those were good questions that sent me back through the catalogs. Here's what I found,

The solid spacer bar was introduced with the changing of the Penn Jigmaster over to the Jigmaster S in 1978. Penn stayed with the Jigmaster S until 1984. The Jigmaster S was not really a popular Jigmaster!

In 1985 Penn changed back to the regular Jigmaster again. The 1985 return was also mixed with new Jigmaster models 505HS and the 501. What is interesting is the introduction of the HS model used cross bar that was solid, like the Jigmaster S, but, had a silkscreened print on it or maybe a sticker identifying it as the Jigmaster HS. The regular Jigmaster was still using the Jigmaster S solid cross bar.

Then in 1986, Penn changed to the Cross Bars with the Lighting Holes added to them. This reduced their weight and, in my opinion, increased their eye appeal.

The Rubber handle knob was introduced in 1994.

Bill B

Mike, thank you again for a glimpse into the dusty old pages of the Penn Catalogues....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Penn Chronology

QuoteInsert Quote

Mike, thank you again for a glimpse into the dusty old pages of the Penn Catalogues....Bill

You are very welcome.

Tightlines667

Alright, I have a question....

How am I going to find the correct Jigmaster for my newly aquired box, bag, extra spool, wrench, paperwork, etc.   The old style , 2 piece non metal reinforced box has an list price of $17.50 and gives 2 seperate mono line capacities.  The catalog is a no. 22.  

I believe the correct reel would be a first year 500, ca. 1949.

Is this correct?  & if so.. how do I recognize the correct reel?

Guessing the reel would have a plastic spool, part numbers, short, pancack-style 3 stack counterweight that has that thick plating, Model number stamped simply 'Penn Jigmaster no. 500', 4-posts, saltwater stand, tall headplate bushing ...

not sure what to look for here?

Plenty of Jigmaster from the 1960s and 1970s, but how do you recognize a first-year, pre1960 Jigmaster?

John

*Photo is from page 2 of catalog no. 22.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

sdlehr

John, I'll defer to Mike on this, but in '49 I think you could have some or all non-numbered parts. I was watching that auction too, but held back on bidding.

Sid
Sid Lehr

Penn Chronology

QuoteHow am I going to find the correct Jigmaster for my newly aquired box, bag, extra spool, wrench, paperwork, etc.   The old style , 2 piece non metal reinforced box has an list price of $17.50 and gives 2 seperate mono line capacities.  The catalog is a no. 22.  

I believe the correct reel would be a first year 500, ca. 1949.

Is this correct?  & if so.. how do I recognize the correct reel?

Guessing the reel would have a plastic spool, part numbers, short, pancack-style 3 stack counterweight that has that thick plating, Model number stamped simply 'Penn Jigmaster no. 500', 4-posts, saltwater stand, tall headplate bushing ...

not sure what to look for here?

John,

You have the first year box and catalog. The Jigmaster 500 is introduced in 1959, which is what year the #22 catalog was issued in and technically the last year for the green two piece box. You already have the hard part. The spool in your two piece box should be maroon. The answer to your question is in this post. The Jigmaster with the sticker on it is a first year Jigmaster. It does not have to be, it could also be a Jigmaster with a molded in logo. It should be a maroon reel with another plastic spool like the spare one you have in the box. The reel should have a white handle knob,; but, that may vary to green or amber or whatever the legendary handle lady was in the mood for or had extra material on hand for.. Handle knob colors do give a clue to vintage; but, is not an absolute date code.

Another very interesting piece of collector history for the 1959 model is the metal spool version of the Jigmaster. If you look at the catalog page, which you posted, you can see that the Jigmaster 500M is not I the catalog. It simply tells that you can order a metal spool for the Jigmaster if you want one. The truth of it is that a very limited number of Jigmaster 500M models were released in two piece, green boxes in 1959. They are probably the most difficult Jigmaster boxes to find. The 1959 Jigmaster 500M box is smaller than the plain Jigmaster 500 box because the 500M did not come with a spare spool.

Here is a Jigmaster 500 for your 1959 box.

Now John, if you really want a challenge, try to add this one to your collection. It is not impossible; but, this is a tough find.

Tightlines667

Thanks Mike!

Now I have a mission.  

I always wanted a first year Jigmaster package to go with my other first year Penns.  Now I know what to look for.

Interesting about the metal spool version.  I was thinking, I had read somewhere there was a first year Jigmaster with a metal spool, but my first year box clearly shows that it had a lightweight plastic spool, and came with an identical spare in its own box.  

Now another question...

When did Penn first produce the Jigmaster with black sideplates?

Thanks again for enlightening us!

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn Chronology

QuoteWhen did Penn first produce the Jigmaster with black sideplates?

I believe the 1985 high speed Jigmaster is the first black plated version.

Fishamen7

When did the aluminum spool get introduced?