65 Long Beach

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Post questions about this reel in this thread
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

coastal_dan

No questions...just wanted to share some photos of my 1939/1940 Long Beach 65.  Flippin' beautiful reel.  Blown away at how well these clean up; just a shear pleasure to gawk at.  Thanks Mike for some info through facebook about the dating  ;D

And my favorite part is the intricate side plate...I could stare at it for hours...

Happy to be this ladies caretaker for a while  ;D

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Penn Chronology

QuoteNo questions...just wanted to share some photos of my 1939/1940 Long Beach 65.  Flippin' beautiful reel.  Blown away at how well these clean up; just a shear pleasure to gawk at.  Thanks Mike for some info through facebook about the dating  Grin

You are welcome Dan. That is a great example of a very old vintage Long Beach!

Maxed Out

Dan, that is a beauty. You're batting 1,000 my friend  8)
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

basto

A reel to be very proud of Dan. Just beautiful. It makes a difference when a reel has an interesting tail plate, but that one has an interesting counter weight and hand grip, etc,etc.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

George4741

One of the most pristine 65's I've seen.

Long Live the Long Beach,
George
viurem lliures o morirem

mo65

That's a beauty Dan! Is that knurled post a custom item? Never saw one of those. Also I noticed the logo on the head plate is the older '38 or earlier style. This reel may be another 38/39 transition piece like Mike pointed out about my reel. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

QuoteThat's a beauty Dan! Is that knurled post a custom item? Never saw one of those. Also I noticed the logo on the head plate is the older '38 or earlier style. This reel may be another 38/39 transition piece like Mike pointed out about my reel.

My statements are based on the drawings of the reels from the catalogs. The newer logo is in the 1939 catalog. Dan's reel is a 1939  or possibly a 1940. I honestly believe that Penn was using both logos in the same pre-war years. That is why so many reels have mixed parts with logos that do not seem to belong with parts and also why without the box and catalog that came with a particular reel, exact dating is really not possible. When trying to date these old reels all you can do is make an educated guess. Sometimes, even having the reel in the box will still allow for confusion. Dan's reel has a 1938 or earlier logo with a 1939, 40 or 41 handle and tail plate... Go figure?

mo65

A cool comparison: Dan's '38 headplate/'39 handle vs. my '39 headplate/'38 handle. 8)

:D "unidentical twins" :D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

coastal_dan

Neat comparison shot!  Thanks guys, happy to be her steward for a while 😀

And yes, knurled rear post...sort of odd, they were usually on knuckle-busters but just another oddity on this question mark reel, haha!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

sdlehr

I also have a '38-'40 Long Beach with a knurled post like what was common on the Silver Beach. It was to be used with an after-market thumb stall (Penn didn't make one but Pflueger did) and worked a little better than the smooth posts because it allowed the thumb drag to stay in place more easily; that is the link between the knurled post and the knuckle-busters.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

RowdyW

Joe, a 1990 & newer 190 Seaboy spool fits and is the only aluminum spool that will fit a 65 LB. They are availeable from SB&T. The original spools for the 65 were plastic or 1 & 3 piece ss.     Rudy

RowdyW

I'll bet that you will never forget that you can't load a plastic spool with mono.  ;D Sometimes we all learn the hard way. Contact FatTuna, he may have some used ones left from all the Seaboys he pieced out unless The Boss bought all he had.

RowdyW

Joe, check my edit at the end of page one.

thorhammer

Joe I had a nos chrome one but our man Sid needed it a few months back.  I learned about plastic spools with a pristine 501.