65 Long Beach

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Joe, take your pick and send me a PM with your address. They are all true spinners and nice condition. All four are different styles and all are LB65.

Thank you for your service to our country and our freedom.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Alto Mare

Good men Ted, I checked and have no 65's :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

I was going to mention the one you bought there...but I saw Ted's gracious offer and was humbled. Great spool ya got there...I like the stainless 65. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

.....and the last year of the old style plates. By late 1950 the old style plates were history. This one happens to be a southpaw in correct box :o

Ted

Ron Jones

My grandfather taught me the mono-plastic interlock when I was a kid. Sorry you had to find out the hard way.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

theswimmer

Is the solution to load a hundred feet or so of Dacron and then spool mono on top of that?
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

RowdyW

It's probably best to load it 3/4 of dacron & top it off with mono.

Maxed Out

Huge improvement Joe. Looks like a brand new reel  :o :o :o

If you want to add a clamp stand and clamp, a 66, 309, or 209 seat will all fit the 65.

Here is the 65 with the clamp seat.

Ted

Penn Chronology

QuoteHere is the 65 with the clamp seat.

Ted

That is just plain wrong! No fishing reel is supposed to be that pretty.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Penn Chronology on September 03, 2016, 08:04:10 PM
QuoteHere is the 65 with the clamp seat.

Ted

That is just plain wrong! No fishing reel is supposed to be that pretty.

...with all due respect(10 tons), I beg to differ :D :D :D. Here is my version of a dressed up LB65 ;). A 65 spool is in there somewhere :o :o :o

Ted

Alto Mare

Couldn't see anything but a bright light, I grabbed my sunglasses and the reel appeared. ::)
Beautiful....
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Maxed Out

It's a Long Beach 65 I got from the original owners son. Price on box says $9.00

Anyone have a clue what year this one is ??

Thanks, Ted

foakes

Hi Ted --

'49 catalog states $8.00

'50 catalog states $10.00

This is according to Mike's first book -- in the Summary section.

These were fair trade items -- however, there might have been regional variances due to shipping?

And we all know that Penn was wise, as well as consistently thrifty -- not necessarily consistant.

Mike will be able to put a year on it.

Seems like it should be around 1949-50 -- give or take a year.

Nice reel!

Love that blood red crank knob.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Its a Beauty.
I love this era of the long beach.
Picture plate?
Life is Good!

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!