65 Long Beach

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

QuoteWhat would disqualify it from being a 1936

They were not introduced until 1937, that might disqualify a 1936 classification.... :-\

The straight handle Deluxe models were only made in 1937 and 38. When Penn placed handles on reels back then, the hollow wood handle that is on your reel was basically interchangeable with the straight phenolic handle with the oil port. Usually on a high end reel like a LB Deluxe that did not happen; but, obviously it happened on the one you have. Ted, your reel is a 37 or 38, without supporting packaging, no real way to know what exact year it is. IMHO

Maxed Out

Quote from: Penn Chronology on August 09, 2017, 04:03:48 PM

They were not introduced until 1937, that might disqualify a 1936 classification.... :-\

The straight handle Deluxe models were only made in 1937 and 38. When Penn placed handles on reels back then, the hollow wood handle that is on your reel was basically interchangeable with the straight phenolic handle with the oil port. Usually on a high end reel like a LB Deluxe that did not happen; but, obviously it happened on the one you have. Ted, your reel is a 37 or 38, without supporting packaging, no real way to know what exact year it is. IMHO

Thanks Mike, guess I should check the book before asking dumb questions LOL

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Tightlines667

Quote from: Maxed Out on August 10, 2017, 03:58:36 AM
Quote from: Penn Chronology on August 09, 2017, 04:03:48 PM

Thanks Mike, guess I should check the book before asking find questions LOL

Ted

Ted,
We all enjoy the questions..
and the answers.
Too bad there is no prize for the correct one ;)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

mo65

Quote from: Tightlines666 on August 10, 2017, 04:07:35 AM
Ted,
We all enjoy the questions..
and the answers.
Too bad there is no prize for the correct one ;)

Exactly...I learn a lot from these question/answer posts. Cool reel Ted. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

QuoteThanks Mike, guess I should check the book before asking dumb questions LOL

That was not a dumb question. You were only one year off without checking the book. That is pretty good. If I don't check the book I can even get the right decade................ ???

mikeysm

I have a longbeach 60 and I am restoring it. From what I read the penn jigmaster stainless sleeve should fit. But after trying it tha shaft on the bridge is to small. Was there a early design and I have one? If so can I change over to a newer on so the bridge will fit.

Mike

mo65

Quote from: mikeysm on August 24, 2017, 11:46:29 PM
I have a longbeach 60 and I am restoring it. From what I read the penn jigmaster stainless sleeve should fit. But after trying it tha shaft on the bridge is to small. Was there a early design and I have one? If so can I change over to a newer on so the bridge will fit.

Mike

Yes Mike, at some point in Penn's history they did use that smaller diameter bridge shaft and corresponding gear sleeve. I've ran into it on a Baymaster 180, a Silver Beach 99, a 259 Live Bait Caster, and a Super Mariner 49. Finding a replacement bridge for the LB 60 should be easy if you want to use that ss sleeve. 8)

foakes

If you don't have a 3-66, Mike --

Let me know and I will send one your way -- N/C.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Hey guys, I just remembered the old #3-60 and #3-85 bridges will work also. 8)

Maxed Out

Another lucky find. It is well used but no broken or chipped plates.

Ted

mo65

Bravo Ted! I love the mottled plates...great find! 8)

Penn Chronology

Great find Ted, Finding a mottled Long Beach is much harder than some of the other lower priced models. Are both side plates mottled like that or just the head plate?

Maxed Out

Quote from: Penn Chronology on October 28, 2018, 05:15:30 AM
Great find Ted, Finding a mottled Long Beach is much harder than some of the other lower priced models. Are both side plates mottled like that or just the head plate?

Hi Mike, yes, both sides are mottled the same.

I have a few long beach with mottled tail plate only....seems to me that they didn't do as many mottled head plates

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Penn Chronology

QuoteGreat find Ted, Finding a mottled Long Beach is much harder than some of the other lower priced models. Are both side plates mottled like that or just the head plate?

Hi Mike, yes, both sides are mottled the same.

I have a few long beach with mottled tail plate only....seems to me that they didn't do as many mottled head plates

Could be, would have to go back in time to know for sure. I now think your mottled reel is even better with the mottling on both plates.