66-67-68 Long Beach

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

I agree with Rowdy, besides the complete package, you ahve a good example of two 67's....I would fish them all day and have a good time....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

TheReelShop

Yea thats what I was thinking of. Is either spool stronger than another? I think the 3 piece is a weaker one?

RowdyW

I would say that either spool will take the punishment that the reel was designed for. The chrome spool is made of a little thinner material & is slightly lighter in weight. Take your pick or fish them both. If you want to upgrade the drags a little remove the three 113 drag washers & replace them with five #60 CF washers & one more eared & one more keyed washer for a little more drag power.          Rudy

Gfish

On the fronta the boxes in the pics. at the bottom one address has a zip code "19132", an the other's "32" only. Clue?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bill B

Postal Zip codes changed in 1963.  However with Penn's long history of using all available stock, and the change in box style, we can reasonably assume 1960's era reels.  I do not have my Penn Chronology book handy to look at the introduction of a SS spool......but you have the best clue with your manuals....What are the edition numbers on the manuals?    Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Penn Chronology

QuotePostal Zip codes changed in 1963.  However with Penn's long history of using all available stock, and the change in box style, we can reasonably assume 1960's era reels.  I do not have my Penn Chronology book handy to look at the introduction of a SS spool......but you have the best clue with your manuals....What are the edition numbers on the manuals?    Bill

Correct!! Zip codes changed in 1963; but, you will find Penn boxes selling into the late 1960's still using Zone Numbers instead of Zip Codes.

According to my catalogs, Stainless steel spools were introduced in 1980, so you will not find them mentioned in my books.

Speaking of my books, the soft cover Source Book is now available for sale at     http://www.whitefishpress.com/bookdetail.asp?book=223     and for a 300 page reference book I feel Dr. Todd priced it right. All catalog years are represented from 1933 to 1957 with page by page reference of the catalogs.

Gfish

That's what I'd do-use alla extra boxes, 'cept I'd getta employee to mark 'em all by hand with the right data. Got a thing about stuff like that, must more German influence in me than my ethnic background indicates.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

TheReelShop

Quote from: RowdyW on December 22, 2016, 03:57:13 PM
I would say that either spool will take the punishment that the reel was designed for. The chrome spool is made of a little thinner material & is slightly lighter in weight. Take your pick or fish them both. If you want to upgrade the drags a little remove the three 113 drag washers & replace them with five #60 CF washers & one more eared & one more keyed washer for a little more drag power.          Rudy

Sounds good Rudy thanks for the info! I'm still pondering if I use them or not!!
Quote from: TARFU on December 22, 2016, 05:09:42 PM
Postal Zip codes changed in 1963.  However with Penn's long history of using all available stock, and the change in box style, we can reasonably assume 1960's era reels.  I do not have my Penn Chronology book handy to look at the introduction of a SS spool......but you have the best clue with your manuals....What are the edition numbers on the manuals?    Bill

One catalog is 36B and the other is 40B

Here are the rods i received mated to the reel

sdlehr

The "B" catalogs have a date in small print on the back cover.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Swami805

I ran across an odd Long Beach today. It only has 3 bars, one on the front and back and one across the top where harness lugs might go. It had maroon sideplates and an older long beach logo. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

BryanC

Quote from: Swami805 on January 05, 2017, 11:49:17 PM
I ran across an odd Long Beach today. It only has 3 bars, one on the front and back and one across the top where harness lugs might go. It had maroon sideplates and an older long beach logo. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks Sheridan

Is it a smaller diameter (i.e. 60 or 65 size) reel?  The 1933, first year Long Beach only had three posts.  But I don't think they made the bigger size reels at that time.

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

George4741

Quote from: BryanC on January 06, 2017, 12:00:02 AM
Quote from: Swami805 on January 05, 2017, 11:49:17 PM

Is it a smaller diameter (i.e. 60 or 65 size) reel?  The 1933, first year Long Beach only had three posts.  But I don't think they made the bigger size reels at that time.

Probably a 1933 Long Beach, as Bryan suggested.  If it is for sale, how much?
viurem lliures o morirem

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Swami805

I was on a different mission and saw it. Don't know if he'll sell it. Has a few other reels I'm interested in just didn't know much about that one. Hoping he'll just take an arm. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are